Outdoor MDF

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
CNCGG
Vectric Craftsman

Outdoor MDF

Post by CNCGG »

http://www.extira.com/pageBuild.asp?PageID=B_ext_e

I had a small sample sent out to me, looks good.

This is around $50-55 for a 3/4 x 4 x 8 sheet.

Its cheaper than the HDU signfoam3.

andyb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MultiCAM, Shopbot PRTAlpha

Post by andyb »

CNCGG,
I've used Extira to cut a couple of signs. It cuts pretty good. The dust is oily and hard to get rid of. There is several ways that had been suggested to paint it. Paint mask will pull the paint off if not done right.

Andy B.

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

That looks really good. Does anyone know if its available on this side of the pond, and what name it'd go under?

Thanks.

James E
Vectric Craftsman

Post by James E »

Sounds a lot like MEDEX, with the addition of Zinc Borate ( toxicity category III (CAUTION) ) This is the green or green cored version of Medite, available from your MDF supplier, if they are any good.
A lot ot the longevity of this product is determined in the design of the item. Areas that trap water will degrade faster than free draining areas, and once water is inside, -I know what the manufacturers say - but once water is inside the rot sets in.

I have had 7 years outside from Medex.

Jim

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I just took a look at the link to Extira, it is good stuff, but I would recommend CAUTION also when cutting it. In addition to the zinc stuff, it is bonded with phenol. Phenolic is considered a very strong cancer causing material.

All that said, turn on the dust collector, put on your mask, and let the cutting begin!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

BradyWatson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BradyWatson »

Extira is downright nasty stuff to cut. It is very hard on tools, and definately toxic...Several others, including me, have gotten sick (sinus infections etc) after cutting it. Even with dust collection, it gets nasty - depending on how much cutting you have to do. Play it safe and leave the room or wear a respirator...It smells a little like molasses when being cut for whatever reason.

-B
High Definition 3D Laser Scanning www.IBILD.com

Rarebyte

Extiria MSDS Sheet

Post by Rarebyte »

I looked up the MSDS sheet for Exteria when I started using it. The sheet is somewhat vague about the chemicals used in this material("Trade Secret"). The MSDS states that a respirator not a dust mask should be worn when cutting Exteria,

Another thing that stands out, its dust is more explosive than regular sawdust due to the wax and phenolic resin content. Be sure to read the parts about storage of the sawdust.

The MSDS sheet can be found here:

http://www.extira.com/pdf/MSDS_ex.pdf

That taken into account we could not get along without it here in the rain coast of Canada. Use reasonalble care wear a respirator and ventilate your shop. Any wood dust is unhealthy.

Regards,
Roger

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Extiria MSDS Sheet

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

Rarebyte wrote:That taken into account we could not get along without it here in the rain coast of Canada.
Now if only some enterprising person would export some of this stuff to Australia! We can only get plain MDF and moisture resistant MDF (which is only maybe 20% more moisture resistant than standard MDF and only available in limited sizes). :cry: - ha, got to use the cry emoticon!

In addition to a quite limited range of solid timbers there is no coloured MDF, no exterior and no fire retardant board products at all. I am using VCP to make architectural products; we have quite tough fire regulations for public buildings and no timber based board products available that even go close to meeting the requirements, so have to rely on Architects turning a blind eye to the regulations or use something else. It's quite frustrating.... you North American & European folk should be thankfull for the products you have available to you. Even New Zealand does better than us.

Just my OT rant for the week! :wink:

coop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: K2CNC- 25X25-50X50

extira

Post by coop »

glad to hear someone is familar with "extira"
i use it extensivly for exterior cabin type signs and misc. house signs
i think i have cut about 30 4x8 sheets just this summer !
my k2 machine is completley enclosed with a dedicated 1.5 hp dust collector with a 1 micron filter and my airbrush shop also
has a 3 hp vent fan sucking all the time !
i hope i am relatively safe..
i will upload some pics of my setup asap !
bo

Joel Schuman

Post by Joel Schuman »

I used to cut a lot more Extira than I do now. Most of the difference is due to replacing Extira with Azek in exterior architectural applications. Azek is expanded PVC. Much easier/faster/safer to cut, kinder to the tooling, and way kinder to your back.

coop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: K2CNC- 25X25-50X50

extira

Post by coop »

hey Joel,
is that material you spoke of, similar to "sintra"
a much softer extruded pvc type product ?
it is used in the sign industry and for fabrication.
i used it extensivly on a castle type look for a kids room,
i even heated it to bend around corners and around window casings.
coop