Using V carve on a plasma cutter machine

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
C.Michael
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Using V carve on a plasma cutter machine

Post by C.Michael »

Could this be done using the profile toolpath?? I know that using a plasma cutter is a bit more complex in regards to torch height,good arc and the like..I use mach 3 and it has the tools to run a plasma,but the g code to turn the torch on and off..that is were i stumble..the height of the torch would be easy enough to do..any thought here..even if you had to edit the G code to make it work on the stops and start points..I should be able to figure that one out..Mike

CandCNC-Tom

Post by CandCNC-Tom »

Why not use a tool made for that? other software has plasma specific toolpath functions (Auto lead-ins/outs; preset pierce height; correct torch sequence, etc). It will take DXF, HPGL or EMF files and let you graphically setup the cut. IT has lots of post processors including one for MACH. At $166.00 USD it won't break the bank and you will be amazed at how smooth the flow will go and you will never have to hand code anything. I think VCarve is a great program but it's designed to do decorative V bit cutting in wood (I know...simplification) but it's the wrong tool for generating pain free plasma g-code.

C.Michael

Post by C.Michael »

I just thought that with the profile toolpath that you are 90 percent of the way there towards completion of a g code to run..maybe this might be something to add to the next version of v carve to make it even more versatile of a program..I have the trial of other software already loaded..looking it over right now..Thanks

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Mike,

VCarve Pro customers are running their CNC plasma machines using the Profile toolpaths + Auto Lead in / out. The postprocessor can easily be setup to output only 2D XY moves + the required plasma on / off commands.

Let me know if we can help with this.

Tom - To expand on your simplification > The flexible production quality 2D Profile and Pocket (with control for start point, tabs, lead in / out and ramping) machining functionality in VCPro 4 makes the software far more than a decorative wood machining package. The software is being used in production shops for machining all kinds of 2D projects in plastic, metal and wood.

Tony

C.Michael

Post by C.Michael »

Hi Tony..thanks for the reply..I use the profile toolpath alot for the type of cnc work that I do..drawing model airplanes in autocad and then cutting out the parts using profile toolpath to cut them all out..I am building another table for plasma cutting and I just thought that this profile feature was a natural for this type of work..you have the lead ins and outs..with some calculation of the cutter height,you could make the cutter torch float above the metal..and raise up for the rapids....It just the feature to be able to turn on the torch and off with what ever g code is needed..the right amount of pause for the torch to pierce the metal and away it would cut..To insert a couple lines of code for each part that needs to be done..Mach has a g code editor in it so that is nice to have..I am just not sure how to do the editing and making it all work..Mike

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Mike,

Email the required lines of code to support@vectric.com and we'll take at adding it to a 2D postp for you.

Tony

C.Michael

Post by C.Michael »

Hi Tony..sorry for such a delay in responding..vacation time for me ,just got back..
To be honest,I do not know what I need in regards to G code or how to run a plasma machine..I have been reading as much as I can on cnczone on this subject..I can draw the parts in autocad and import them to vcarve and cut it out of plywood..easy..but that has a lot less needed in regards to a plasma cutter..when you are running a router..i just let it run during the rapids to each new part..but the plasma needs to start its torch,pierce the metal..then start moving..at the end of each cut out then shut off the torch..rapid to the next piece and start all over again ..some of the plasma machines that I have been looking at are set up with a relay leads to turn it on and off..so I am guessing here that Mach sees some g code to start this relay..?? and then shuts it off with another line of G code...?..

setting the rapid heights and the cutting heights would be easy enough..turning the torch on and off..pause to pierce the metal..how do you do all that..? Mike