VCarve and Photo VCarve

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
HayTay
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HayTay »

TReischl & Turtle49,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Very cool and nicely done.

It took me a couple of tries to get the hang of it but I muddled my way through. I think the results speak for themselves. I know I need to work a little bit on my outside edges but I'm pleased I could duplicate the results with reasonable accuracy.

I'm off to try something else...

Great job, all.
Attachments
HayTay_Deer.png
HayTay_Deer.jpg
HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your own success!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

You definitely got the hang of it!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

HayTay
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HayTay »

Thanks, TReischl.

My third attempt using a complimentary Dover Clipart file went quite a bit quicker.

Like everything else using graphics conversion/manipulation, the quality and/or type of the original file makes a huge difference in regards to the final result. I had done another file between the deer and this one and wasn't really pleased with the outcome. I think that if the original graphic would have had a bit more detail the result would have been more to my liking.

However, I was pleased with how Dover's Celtic Fish turned out...
Attachments
Celtic Fish Render.JPG
Celtic Fish Blurred.jpg
995917-196.jpg
HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your own success!

Colin P F
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Colin P F »

Thank you TReischl, I'll be trying your system out first chance I get, nice application.

Colin.

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

Hey TReischl,

I got to thinking about something you said on the phone yesterday. You mentioned that some clipart does not lend itself to this process due to feature width and cutter size limits.

I got to playing with it today and mixing Vcarve with the grayscale machining.

You'll note in the image below that the facial features are VCarved and the rest of the carving is done with Grayscale machining.

What do you think?

Tim
Attachments
Dog in cattails preview
Dog in cattails preview
Dog_in_cattails-Grayscale.zip
Vcarve zip file
(785.82 KiB) Downloaded 444 times

zoltan
Vectric Apprentice

Post by zoltan »

Hi,

Did someone cut a such piece? How long it takes to cut a such a piece comparing with normal relief based on real experience not estimation?

Thank you.

Zoltan

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Zoltan, I cut the Vineyard sign a couple of days ago. It ran about 6 hours on my machine. Since then, I have cut a bunch of other stuff and have been experimenting. All the results have been good.

I don't think you should compare this method to VCarving. It is apples and oranges.

As far as how long? It cuts in the time that VCarve says it will cut, I am running a 1/8 ballnose at 60 IPM full depth of cut which is usually .25 to .312 deep.

Yea, yea, one of these days I will get out the camera and take a few pics, but honestly, I HATE taking pictures!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Tim, I LOVE IT!!!!! A good way to get fussy detail in.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Zoltan, the reason I said this was apples and oranges, is that normal VCarving produces "hard" edges. This technique does not, it more closely imitates hand carving.

zoltan
Vectric Apprentice

Post by zoltan »

Hi,

Thank you. I did not realize this. I had no chance to try this process/procedure as these days I am travelling.

Thank you.

Zoltan

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

I did the below picture in just a few minutes as a trial. Your right, this method does give it a more hand carved look. TReischl, thanx for the cool tip!

Jason
Attachments
pow.jpg
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

mrBOND
Vectric Craftsman

One step further...

Post by mrBOND »

I have deleted the information in this post because it did not fit the thread /mrBOND
Last edited by mrBOND on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

mrBond, you will notice that the thread is titled Photo VCarve and Vcarve. . . the idea being to NOT buy canned models, to NOT buy more software, but rather to get the max out of what we have already.

I would agree that if someone wants to cut purchased 3D models the best route is to get Cut 3D and start buying models. However, if a person would like to just get some rounded corners, maybe add a dash of depth, this is certainly a viable route to take.

I am extremely pleased with the results I have been getting, without having shelled out more $$$ for models, etc. Doing this also frees us to work with exactly the clipart we want, rather than the limited amount of 3D models (limited as compared to what is available in 2D) available. Yesterday, I popped open an oak leaf from Corel X3 clipart, in about ten minutes I had a sculpted image ready for the machine. Turned out very nicely. That is what we are trying to do in this thread, share ideas on how to work with what we have.

By the way, the stereogram link downloads a zip file that is not compatible with the current version of winzip.

So, in the end, it is not really history.
Attachments
0.jpg

mrBOND
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mrBOND »

TReischl wrote:mrBond, you will notice that the thread is titled Photo VCarve and Vcarve. . . the idea being to NOT buy canned models, to NOT buy more software, but rather to get the max out of what we have already.
You don't need to buy anything?
Maybe Corel Draw to follow your guide...
TReischl wrote: I would agree that if someone wants to cut purchased 3D models the best route is to get Cut 3D and start buying models. However, if a person would like to just get some rounded corners, maybe add a dash of depth, this is certainly a viable route to take.
There are a lot of free 3D models around
TReischl wrote: I am extremely pleased with the results I have been getting, without having shelled out more $$$ for models, etc. Doing this also frees us to work with exactly the clipart we want, rather than the limited amount of 3D models (limited as compared to what is available in 2D) available. Yesterday, I popped open an oak leaf from Corel X3 clipart, in about ten minutes I had a sculpted image ready for the machine. Turned out very nicely. That is what we are trying to do in this thread, share ideas on how to work with what we have.
I'm sorry that I disurbed your thread, I will keep my ideas by my self in the future... :(
TReischl wrote: By the way, the stereogram link downloads a zip file that is not compatible with the current version of winzip.
Use Winrar instead.. much better imo
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

thanks for the link to winrar, it seems that the stereogram file is not correct, winrar refused to unzip it also, saying unexpected end of file. :::shrug:::

These things happen.