cribbagge Board Holes

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
rseeley13
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot

cribbagge Board Holes

Post by rseeley13 »

I was wondering how to design the holes in groups of 5 for cribbage boards. When I attach the holes to a curved line the holes don't line up next to each other, am I doing something wrong here? I wanted to make different shaped boards for Christmas gifts this year.

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Re: cribbagge Board Holes

Post by glenninvb »

I'm not a cribbage board maker or player but you should be able to use the copy circles to curve and the linear array tool to create the groups.
Hopefully one of the board makers will come along and give better tips, I have no idea of hole size or spacing but you can set as desired.

Edit, see! 5 rows instead of 3 and can't even spell it right :) or maybe I did?
Attachments
a.JPG
b.JPG

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

1. Draw a vector that represents the path for the center of the rows of holes. (I'm assuming 4 rows of 30 holes with a space in between along a smooth vector.)
2. Offset the vector, to both sides for half the distance between the rows of holes.
3. Offset the vector to both sides again for the second row of holes.
4. Use the "Copy object along vector" to make 35 copies of the circle size desired. Do each vector separately. You probably won't be pleased with the results.
5. Delete every 6th hole to get the 30 holes spaced in sets of of 5.
6. Or, you can draw the first hole and copy it along the vector 6 times and then repeat with the second hole.

If the pattern consists of straight lines and arcs, do each one separately. You will have to fiddle with the number of holes per line and arc to get the spacing you want and to achieve alignment between rows.

Or, you can simply draw 30 sets of lines crossing the path vectors where you want the holes. Use the Offset and Rotate tools for this. In the Edit menu, Snap Options, be sure the Geometry Snapping to Intersections box is checked. Then draw the holes at the intersections.

You can use the Measure tool, Span Contour Properties to find the length of a vector to help locating the holes.

No really simple way to tell the computer how to locate circles along varying length lines so the pattern looks good.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

rseeley13
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot

Post by rseeley13 »

Thanks...

FixitMike - You lost me on your example, lets say I want to make a path that is for 2 players which would be (2 rows by 5 holes (in this type of grouping)).

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Slightly modified version:

Draw a vector which represents the center of the rows of holes. draw 4 circles at one end to represent the first row for both players. Then group the circles.

Make 35 equally spaced copies along the vector then remove every 6th one to get 6 sets of 5. Copy the circles along the vector (Using the "Copy object along vectors" tool, with the "align objects to vector" box checked.) This will give you the results in the attached picture.

Again, if your path consists of straight lines and arcs, you will have to treat each line and arc separately and allocate the holes according to their lengths to achieve the best appearance. This is because you probably want the rows along the straight lines to be in line, and the rows along the arcs to be on a line drawn through their common center.

Use layers to keep the components separated for clarity as needed.

You can always add your .crv file to a post to help us see the pattern you are trying to achieve.
Attachments
cribbage board (Medium).JPG
Last edited by FixitMike on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

There's a step by step on the forum that can be found HERE.
Ron Sloan

WoodEraser
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus

Post by WoodEraser »

Ron

The video for that link has been moved or deleted.
Eric
The WoodEraser

Liberty Twp (N. of Cincinnati & S. of Dayton) Ohio

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Post by CharlieP »

Hi WoodEraser,

It seems as though the video is still there, but photobucket is having linking troubles.
If you use the share links to the right, and select the Direct link and then paste that to your internet address bar, this should take you to the video.

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

If the arc line is consistent, ie part of a circle, create a circular array then delete the ones you don't need. dh
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

P.Passuello
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid

Post by P.Passuello »

This video may help you laying out Cribbage board.

Cheers
Peter
The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz