Moving origin to the centre of a feature

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Home Shopper
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Wabeco mill

Moving origin to the centre of a feature

Post by Home Shopper »

I have a shape which is a central circle sitting inside a lobed outer shape (see attached .crv file). It has been imported from a DXF file and tidied up.
The VCarve Pro 6.5 origin is at the centre of the shape, but because of the lobes that is not the centre of the inner circle. I need to reference off the centre of the inner circle, so how can I move the shape so that Vcarve's origin coincides with the origin of the inner circle.
I have tried using the node editing tool, noting the X co-ordinate of the node at the top of the circle, then entering that as an offset in the Job Size and Position window. That moves the shape, but does not set the origin to coincide with the centre of the circle. What is does is move everything, including VCarve's origin, in relation to the centre of the material. That's not what I need.
I have attached the VCarve Pro 6.5 file.

The object is an air cleaner adapter for a motorcycle, which will be machined in aluminium, but not all the machining will be done in VCarve, so I need the constant point of reference, which will be the centre of the inner circle (which will be a through hole for the air, and can easily be set up in the mill using a same-size plug.

Thanks.
Attachments
AIR CLEANER ADAPTOR v2010 plan.crv
(15 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
HomeShopper

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Moving origin to the centre of a feature

Post by tmerrill »

Here is one method that works because the center is a circle.

Open the Measure Tool and select "Span/Contour Properties" near the middle of the window. Now select the inner circle and the tool will tell you the center of the arc is at X = 1.95, Y = 0. Close the tool.

Now select all the vectors and open the Move tool. Select Relative mode and input -1.95 into the X position box. Apply it and you are done.

Tim

PS you still have some duplicate vectors that may create problems while toolpathing. Recommend you correct those issues.

Home Shopper

Post by Home Shopper »

Excellent; thanks! I was missing the Relative stage.
Much appreciated. :D
HomeShopper

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Realize with this design you could have simply selected the inner circle and opened the move tool to find the center. But it was good to use the Span/Contour Properties feature of the Measure Tool as many seem to have missed that and it can be very powerful for more complex designs.

Good luck with your project.

Tim

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Another method is to add a circle that is centered where you want the origin to be that is also large enough to include all of the vectors. Select all (control A) and then use the alignment tool to align the selection with the center of the material. (I hope I am correct in assuming the alignment tool is available in VCP 6.5, I have 7.05)
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Home Shopper

Post by Home Shopper »

Yes; I did draw a lager circle, as you suggest, and that worked fine. But I did think it was very dependent on the position of the original circle, so if this was a more complex design and I wanted to centre on a feature at the lower corner, I would have to draw a very large circle, and it seemed clumsy in that kind of circumstance. Fine for this design, though.
Thanks.
HomeShopper