Sign carving bits

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mick40
Vectric Apprentice

Sign carving bits

Post by mick40 »

Folks,

How to I set up a vcarve bit that is 30 degs .24 dia at the top but, has a flat tip of .04? There is no prevision to compensate in vcarve that I know of. Because the bit has no tip it cuts deeper.

Make sense?

Appreciate any help,

Mick

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Sign carving bits

Post by tmerrill »

Mick,

You would enter it as an engraving bit. Just be sure to enter the half angle (as shown in the diagram in the tool database) and not the full included angle like a normal v-bit.

Tim

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

In the help menu, go to Help Contents, The Tool Database, Using Form Cutters, Adding your own custom form cutters.

You then need to turn the text to curves, and pocket carve them. If the flat depth is too much, V-Carve won't let you use the tool. I haven't figured out how much flat depth is too much, but I suspect that the tool has to be able to reach it everywhere inside the selected vector.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

mick40
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mick40 »

Tim,

You have no idea how I have been struggling, never thought to look at this bit as engraving. Also, given I have never done engraving I was unfamiliar with the tool So simple for those like you with the experience. I use the bit by cheating the diameter calling it larger than it actually is. The problem is I then use a mill to remove the larger areas the mill misses areas it " thinks" the vcarve bit removed. I will give it a try and certainly convert to curves if needed.

Thank you all for your help it's much appreciated.

Mick

Strat
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ CNC / HHC

Post by Strat »

You can, when you calculate the tool path, hit the edit tap, and enter the .04 in the final pass step over. I think this will work for you.

mick40
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mick40 »

Thanks for the help worked like a charm!!!

Many thanks and very much appreciated.

Mick