Vcarve suitable for laser engraving??

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
martyleach
Model of CNC Machine: Blacktoe 2X4 from buildyourcnc.com

Vcarve suitable for laser engraving??

Post by martyleach »

I have a 2'X4' CNC table and am considering a 2'X2' laser machine to put on top also running Mach3 and VcarvePro. Is VCP suitable for laser engraving or is the software limited in the resolution?

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Re: Vcarve suitable for laser engraving??

Post by GaryR6 »

Its fine. Many of us use the software for both. As long as your laser software will take a STL file you are good to go.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

As long as your laser software will take a STL file you are good to go.
I'm confused as STL is not a file type that VCarve Pro can use or produce.

Can you please provide more detail?

Tim

cstmwrks
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP PRO 4848

Post by cstmwrks »

kinda had this question myself. V Carve PRO... not photocarve.., My thought was you would define a special "tool" that would be the laser. Not sure what you do with spindle speed, I think it has low end limits. Change lines of g code after the post processor step?

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Most laser engravers use a print file [z is only used for focus]. You can design what you want in V-Carve or Aspire but then you must save it as an eps or dxf file then print with a program like corel draw.

This is how my laser engraver works:

Laser engraving typically uses an x-axis movement with a y-axis step-over the size of the laser point

I can also print directly from programs like Photoshop.

Set page size in the print software to the same as in Vectric's software you are using; center the project to the center [f9 in aspire]

The v-carve/aspire file export will have a line width of 1.0 pt when imported by corel draw
[un-group first]
Typically the cut lines [vectors] are hairline
The raster lines are set to any width you want

When the eps file is imported into corel draw [p] will center to page

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

martyleach
Model of CNC Machine: Blacktoe 2X4 from buildyourcnc.com

Post by martyleach »

Dale
I appreciate the reply but VCP will not let me save it in either of those formats. Am I missing something here?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You don't save in either of those formats, look just below save & you will see export. You need to export the selected vectors.

cstmwrks
Vectric Craftsman

Post by cstmwrks »

OK, so I'm a bit confused. I'm guessing at this point but the work flow with software sounds different.. sort of.
What I was entertaining was an adapter kit like these people make: http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=1436 as the main issue was turning the laser on and off driven by Mach3.

If I had simple line art all burned at the same power setting ... Well, I'm not seeing the need for exporting in different file formats. Plus at some point it still has to go back to a CAM software to make it G code.

Without involving Vcarve, what is a popular software package for laser work?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There are lots of posts on the forum from people successfully using just VCarve with lasers.

jhop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by jhop »

I use Vcarve files all the time, but I use the export to EPS procedure stated in the earlier post. I import it into any program that works with my Epilog laser printer driver. I have not read the other laser with Vcarve posts, but I am curious to see how you can make a printer driver for a home made laser.

kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Post by kyeakel »

I have a DarklyLabs Emblaser which came with Cut2D Laser, it generates G-code which could then be sent to your CNC machine.
I did not see it listed on the Vectric site as a separate purchase but you could ask them. The only unique things I see in it, is the ability to set laser power level, and I don't think it has any tool selection dialog.

Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser

cstmwrks
Vectric Craftsman

Post by cstmwrks »

kyeakel wrote: The only unique things I see in it, is the ability to set laser power level, and I don't think it has any tool selection dialog.

Kipp
Not sure but if it is like other options it would be set with M-code. Some thing a person could to in the txt file.
Anyhow, I don't know how well the idea of a mod to my current CNC machine would be. The laser projects are very specific and a 5" x 5" working area is all that is needed. Maybe overkill to mount on a 48" x 48" machine.

Has anyone ever marked natural rubber with a laser? NOT attempting to mark a balloon and try to inflate it afterward. Stuff in the range of .025" to .060" with and without pigments. Any drastic change in flexibility to the marked area?

kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Post by kyeakel »

My emblaser is an A3 (about 16x16, if memory serves) 2.2W, I've used it to engrave on wood, both letters and pictures. It will cut very thin wood < 1/8", and it does cut fabric. I use the fabric cutting to cut felt for the bottoms of jewelry boxes. So the site that the OP had noted looks like a similar laser pumped up to 2.8W, this will cut thicker than mine, but how much thicker? Without an air nozzle, probably not that much deeper. I have tried to cut black rubber with it, it leaves a small indentation but does not cut. I now cut rubber with a drag knife which works well.

Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Kipp,
My 50 watt laser can cut up to 1/2" but if plywood has black glue it will only cut to the first black layer.
According to the laser manufacture the black absorbs too much of the laser light.
Just curious have you tried other colors of rubber?
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

cstmwrks
Vectric Craftsman

Post by cstmwrks »

dhellew2 wrote:
According to the laser manufacture the black absorbs too much of the laser light.
Just curious have you tried other colors of rubber?
Dale
I'd be interested to know as well. Not so much on cutting, but making a readable mark. I imagine on material with bright pigments the laser marks would be very easy to see.

Does anyone have experience with onr of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161640264295?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT??