Layout Help Needed

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
nikki1492
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: self made desktop size

Re: Layout Help Needed

Post by nikki1492 »

I lurk on every forum I can find... which is a lot of them, to get ideas to meet my needs. Holding/clamping is a major problem for me. Patrick uses holes drilled in the spoil board, adjustable shelf holders (?) and wedges for the most part. As with most things this doesn't always work.

I knew before I bought this one that I would be limited as to size. If I was younger and richer I'd go bigger. :wink:

Thanks again, Chris, for your input.

Barb

nikki1492
Vectric Apprentice

Post by nikki1492 »

PaulRowntree wrote:What about running the T-track from side to side? You could hold down at the edges by a clamp strap running parallel to the long axis on each side, between tracks.
Hey Paul, what is a clamp strap? I can't remember ever hearing or reading the it.

Barb

dond52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dond52 »

Hello Barb,
This is just a thought off the top of my head. I would make the table as long as I could. Maybe, 36" to 48 " long and 13" wide and at least 3/4" or more thick. I would also Router ( By hand with guide boards ) or table saw the slots to fit the T-Track you are going to use. I would put 2 slots in the long length and at least 3 maybe 4 or 5 in the short direction, ( depending on how long I made the table ).

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Just a flat piece that is pinned down at each end with a bolt secured in a track. Most clamps are single-bolt affairs that hold down a point on the edge, but running a strap across your workpiece can provide a wider area of support. If you are careful, it could be a piece of angle iron for more stiffness, just watch out for it.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

nikki1492
Vectric Apprentice

Post by nikki1492 »

milo30 wrote:Be sure that you have an opening to put bolts in the slot once it is installed. As far as maximizing the cutting area I would consider cutting the two tracks in half and moving them to the far edge so it will give you a few more inches. You could just screw on a larger spoil board if you needed a larger area for clamps later.
Hey Milo30,

I did think about getting the bolts into the slots. But maybe I didn't leave enough room. I left 5/8" for that. They are 1/4" bolts.

Okay.... gotcha about cutting the tracks. That would help get more length.
And you're totally right about putting another spoil board on in the future.

Thanks much. My brain just kicked into another gear. :D

Barb

nikki1492
Vectric Apprentice

Post by nikki1492 »

dond52 wrote:Hello Barb,
This is just a thought off the top of my head. I would make the table as long as I could. Maybe, 36" to 48 " long and 13" wide and at least 3/4" or more thick. I would also Router ( By hand with guide boards ) or table saw the slots to fit the T-Track you are going to use. I would put 2 slots in the long length and at least 3 maybe 4 or 5 in the short direction, ( depending on how long I made the table ).
Hi Dond52,
The machine bed is 34" and that would give more clamping room.
I was wondering about going across the shorter way. Is there anything I should know about if I try to do that?

This is the second time in as many days that I've had problems where I could not think outside the box. That's the great part about this forum brainstorming.

I'm from PA as well..... a little town just north of DuBois. Gotta have something to do with all the wood around us. :wink:
Thanks.

Barb

dond52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dond52 »

Hello Barb,
I would recommend you watch some if not all of this series on router basics.
These are for a hand held router. They are very informative for a novice.

Don

nikki1492
Vectric Apprentice

Post by nikki1492 »

Hey all,

How does this look?
It's laid out on the 27.5" X 13" board (for now)

I'll buy one more 24" track and cut it into four pieces.

I used an end mill and did the t-bone on the ends. :wink: :wink:

Is there anything I'm missing?

I've also included the files for my clamps, both graphic and crv.
After looking around I felt this would be the most versatile style.

The wood really is 1" thick. It's locally harvested red oak. I solar kiln dried it to about 8% moisture. Even built the kiln with help.

Comments please.

Barb
Attachments
cross T-Track T-bone.crv
(212.5 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
rendered cross t-track with t-bone.png
Clamps V2 with 0.375 hole on 1.00 inch wood.crv
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
clamp on 1 inch oak.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The fillets on the middle strips look a bit funky. Looks like you've resized those from the outer strips but it's squashed the fillet so the tool won't fit now. I usually use a dog bone fillet rather than a t-bone for inserts like that.

Personally I'd put a ramp on the pocket toolpath as well. I think it's a good habit to get into with a low rigidity machine like yours. Anything that reduces the side load on the cutter is a good thing.

For the clamps I'd change the drill toolpath to an inside profile cut with a spiral ramp set. Less load and it will cut the hole to the size you want whereas at the moment you're getting a hole the size of your bit rather than the size of the circle you've drawn. The drill toolpath uses the centre of the circle as a guide only.

On the clamp form toolpath you've got the profile set to cut On the vector rather than the outside. Is this what you want to do? Usually a cut out toolpath like that is specified outside the vector rather than on it. If you set it to be On the vector the parts will be smaller by the radius of the cutter.

I notice you're using two toolpaths with the last one being a cut through a skin. That's usually a technique used with a vacuum table to hold the parts down. For a job like this you'd usually use tabs and cut all the way through in one go.

Finally I'd check your tool database to make sure your descriptions line up with the actual settings of your tools. The tool you're using is described as 0.125 but is actually 0.25. I can see that tripping you up some time in the future.

If you haven't already been there I'd thoroughly recommend a good browse through all the info and videos at http://support.vectric.com

nikki1492
Vectric Apprentice

Post by nikki1492 »

Thank you for your comments, Adrian. They are most welcome.

I'll go through your post item by item for the improvements.

I like the KISS approach but as you mentioned, I want to reduce the excessive wear and tear on my machine. It will probably be my one and only.

Barb

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Barb, I've made the changes I suggested to the attached files and a couple of others (like the pocket direction). Don't use these to cut with though as I haven't changed the speeds to something suitable for your machine. Hopefully you will be able to pick up a few things by comparing between these and the originals.
Attachments
Clamps V2 with 0.375 hole on 1.00 inch wood (AM).crv
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
cross T-Track T-bone (AM).crv
(199 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

You have the clamps cut on the crossgrain, first time you use them, they will break.
Ask me how I know :oops:

Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

nikki1492
Vectric Apprentice

Post by nikki1492 »

Wolffie wrote:You have the clamps cut on the crossgrain, first time you use them, they will break.

Cheers
Wolffie
How do you know, Wolffie????? Like I really need to ask.

I always have to look that all over very carefully before I do the g-code since I have interchanged the X and Y axis.

I use X as going across the short span of the bed and Y goes the long way. That's the only way my brain sees them.

Maybe I should move to Oz since everything goes the other way down under. I have an Aussie brother-in-law who likes to mess with my head about those things. :D

Barb

nikki1492
Vectric Apprentice

Post by nikki1492 »

Thank you, Adrian. I worked on your suggestions and got everything except the ramps for the handle cutout. I don't know what I am missing but I'll get it worked out by comparing the files.

I did do many, many of the tutorials/videos when I first started but had only wood carving from photos and lithophanes as main interests. You know.... use it or lose it. I'm living proof of that adage.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I would have had a real mess on my hands going with what I had.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress. I might even do photos if you all promise not to laugh. I've never seen another person's cnc shop or machine so everything for me comes from reading and others pictures. But it works for me.

:D :D What a great bunch you all are. Everybody have a beer or soda or coffee on me. :D :D

Barb

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

nikki1492 wrote:
Wolffie wrote:You have the clamps cut on the crossgrain, first time you use them, they will break.

Cheers
Wolffie
How do you know, Wolffie????? Like I really need to ask.

I always have to look that all over very carefully before I do the g-code since I have interchanged the X and Y axis.

I use X as going across the short span of the bed and Y goes the long way. That's the only way my brain sees them.

Maybe I should move to Oz since everything goes the other way down under. I have an Aussie brother-in-law who likes to mess with my head about those things. :D

Barb
Well, then you know about the Aussie black humour :D
Red = blue
Bald = curly

Not good being a Scotsman down here, they always have the kilt up around their ears :lol:

Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6