Tool Database

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
LindaC

Tool Database

Post by LindaC »

Hi,
Can someone help me, please. I am trying to create a tool database entry for a dovetail and for a t-slot cutter. I want to be able to use the shape so that when I preview the cut, I can see the actual cut shape. I can't seem to get it so that my drawn shape(s) can be entered in as a new form tool. As I understand it, the form tool database is the only area that can have an imported/drawn profile; anywhere else and it just looks like a straight bit and the cut preview is not then very informative or accurate.

I'd really appreciate any help here. I have successfully entered other form tool profiles but these shapes just don't seem to be allowed.

Thanks,
Linda

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Tool Database

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Linda,

VCP cannot preview undercuts like what would be made with a dovetail or t-slot bit so it doesn't make sense it would allow you to create new bits with an undercut.

Tim

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Thanks Tim, I was afraid of that :) Oh well...I just played with the cuts until I got what I needed...now I know what I have to do to get what I want :D

Off the subject, but do you or anyone else know if there is a setting in VCP that can be turned on to always show the size of the job dimensions? In VCP 6 it used to be in the lower right corner next to the XY coordinates.

Thanks! again,
Linda

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Linda,

To my knowledge, nothing has changed between V6 and V6.5.

You will find the Job Dimensions in the lower left corner under all the Drawing icons and they are always visible.

If the mouse pointer is in the 2D window you will see it's X,Y coordinates in the lower right corner and if you have selected a vector, it's size and layer information will appear in the same area.

If the mouse pointer is in the 3D window, you will see it's X,Y and Z coordinates in the lower right corner - which is a great way to double check toolpath depths.

Tim

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Hi Tim,

Yep, thought it was on the right, but after you mentioned that the dims were on the left under the drawing icons, I remembered. However, no dimensions show in my files. I've done a screen capture of one of my files (layers are hidden) and cropped it for a smaller picture upload size. Don't know where the info went to but would sure like to get it back :D

Thanks
Linda
Attachments
Document dimensions are not showing in lower left
Document dimensions are not showing in lower left

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Linda,

OK, I see what you are saying. I'm seeing something different on my computer as shown in the snip below.

A couple of guesses:

What screen resolution are you using? Mine is 1920 X 1080. If you are using a smaller resolution, that may explain it.

Do you have any of the Windows settings adjusted for larger text? If so, try setting it back to the default size and see if the dimensions appear.

Hopefully others may have more ideas or have experienced this themselves.

Tim
Attachments
Job dimensions.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Going by standard resolutions and font sizes (on Windows 7) it looks like a minimum vertical resolution of 800 pixels is needed.

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Well, my resolution is fine...same as it has always been 1280x800. The only change was upgrading to 6.5. A friend checked on her computer and she is also having the same result (uses 1360x768 res). Yet another computer with same revision is fine.

Is there anyone out there from Vectric? Please help. Could it be a preferences setting? I've checked everything in VCP for settings, etc, but have not found anything.

Thanks,
Linda

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Ok, just found something else...if my friend changes her view to portrait, then the dimensions show. They are WAY down below the drawing area!!! Why? Can't very well work with my computer sitting on its side :shock:

This seems to be a bug...at least to me...must be others out there with the same issue. Vectric reps...are you there?

Thanks,
Linda

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Linda
The extra tools included in 6.5 means that the tool area now takes up a little more room and therefore a larger screen is required to show the summary information.

Looking at your screenshot, it is only 744 pixels high. If you set your start bar to 'auto hide' you may have sufficient room for the summary area.

The summary area was always designed to just use empty space if it was available, the Job Setup page can always be used to see the job dimensions if the summary is not visible.

Brian

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Hey Brian!!! :D

It worked...yippy :lol: I know it's a little thing, but I really liked having the job dimensions right there to see, and now I have them back!

THANK YOU!
Linda

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

LindaC wrote:Hey Brian!!! :D

It worked...yippy :lol: I know it's a little thing, but I really liked having the job dimensions right there to see, and now I have them back!

THANK YOU!
Linda
Hi Linda,

I'm glad it worked. I like having the job dimensions displayed as well, and we are trying to regain some screen real estate for the next version so that they are visible on smaller screen sizes.

Brian