Problems cutting Di-Bond

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
kinsign

Problems cutting Di-Bond

Post by kinsign »

I have recently purchased V Carve Pro and a 5'x5' Ez-Router. I love the software and the router! I am currently having some issues when cutting a material called Di-Bond. There are several similar materials on the market (PVC core sandwiched by thin aluminum sheets on each side) I am using 3mm thick material with a spiral upcut solid carbide bit. I am on my third bit and have not even cut 6 inches! I am running at 21,000 r.p.m. witha feed rate of 40 ipm. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Vectric for this great software!

Jonmilligan

Cutting Dibond

Post by Jonmilligan »

:) I have cut lots of Dibond using a 1/8" up_cut spiral bit(ONSRUD Pn. 63-710)at 4metres(160") in per min feedrate and about 16,000rpm spindle speed, finish is OK and the bit lasts forever. Better finish is with ONSRUD 61-041 1/8" O flute bit.but run feedrate at 2.5 metres min with this bit(more fragile), also lasts OK. Hope this helps.
Regards
John Milligan

BTW, This material looks really good Vcarved as long as the V-Bit is really sharp and th design is not too intricate!

kinsign

Jonmilligan

Post by kinsign »

Thanks so muh for the info Jonmilligan! I will get a couple of bits ordered and give them a try.

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

kinsign, one of the problems you may be having is that I think the di-bond material is covered with regular commercial grade aluminum (1100 series). If this is so, then this is one of the worst materials to try to machine. It is so soft that you do not get good chip created, and as such the material tends to build up on your cutter, then the cutter breaks.

Try just using a light spritz of wd-40 on the cutter as it is moving along, give it a shot maybe every 6" or so - experience will tell you what you need. The wd-40 is easy to remove with a bit of soap and water, or a commercial cleaner like 'fantastic'. I use wd-40 as a standard cutting fluid for most aluminum machining on my mill due to the easy clean up, and not so much mess, unless I am doing a big job, then I use regular flood coolant, but you dont want to go there with your router....

The other issue is that using a proper cutter designed for aluminum or plastic will make a big difference as opposed to a regular mill machine end mill or slot drill. If you use a regular machining bit, make sure it is a high helix style designed for cutting aluminum. The Onsrud cutters are design along this line, and they work fine, but they are somewhat pricey. Consulte a local machine shop supplier in your area to see what they can find for you in high helix, 2 flute (slot drill) cutters. You will most likely get them a lot cheaper that way.

As an example I had my daughter get me some 1/16" ball nose carbide end mills for Christmas. They were on sale at Travers Tool for somewhere around $25 US each or so. I now have found that I can purchase them from a local machine tool supplier for $8.50 each Canadian......delivered ...!!!! Guess where I will do my shopping....

Pete