Connect the dots

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Monte55
Vectric Craftsman

Connect the dots

Post by Monte55 »

Why is it that some files designed in V-Carve..........sent to Mach 3 as g code take so long to cut for such a simple image? The Z will start by making a bunch of straight plunges all over the material then finally start cutting as if to connect the dots. I love V-Carve and Mach so far. Better say Xylotex is great
since I'm here. Also run times in V-Carve don't jive with Mach 3. V-Carve seems to be much longer at times. :roll: :roll:
I'm a tool lovin fool.

Nappy1
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Techno LC4896 CNC ROUTER

Connect the dots

Post by Nappy1 »

I believe you are trying to run from a prob scan, or point cloud. I did that once when it took an hour to cut a 9" x 12" oval profile. I realized that the machine was following exactly what I gave it. All I did is is run NCPLOT, ( www.ncplot.com) and I got a dxf to convert to a toolpath.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Monte55,

My guess is that when vcarving some of your designs the Pass Depth for the selected cutter is less
than the calculated toolpath depth, hence you see the Roughing passes being cut first?

Where a design is widest the toolpath will be deepest - unless a Flat Depth is specified - and these
regions may need multiple Z level passes. These regions are machined first and could be why
you see the cutter jumping around the design and then coming back and completing the job -
linking up the dots - but this is only a guess.

If you have an example that shows what you are seeing please can you e-mail the VCarve Pro CRV
file to support@vectric.com and we'll take a look.

The estimated machining times are controlled largely by the Scale Factor specified on
the Estimated Machining Time form.

For most 3D VCarving jobs a scaling factor of around 2 should show an estimate that's
pretty close to the time the job actually takes to run on the CNC machine.

The reason for having the Scale Factor is to compensate for the motors and controller
on the CNC machine sometimes not being able to run at the actual programmed cutting
feed rates when running simultaneous 3D XYZ toolpaths.

I hope this makes sense,

Tony