Bit only "cutting air" above board!

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
LindaC

Bit only "cutting air" above board!

Post by LindaC »

Hi

I am trying to figure out what is going wrong with job:

I have taken a vectorart3d sample file and set it up in Machinist, then imported it into VCarve Pro 6.

From there I set up some text around the image and output the toolpaths for the text as well as the toolpaths brought in with the VectorArt3d file.

Now, in Mach3, all initials setting were made (X0,Y0,Z0). Then the toolpath for the rough out was opened in Mach3. The file was run on a Romaxx CNC.

Here's the problem: no cutting happened because the bit was going right along cutting air, at about 1/8 above the board surface/Z0.

Any ideas out there?

I'm including the gcode files, in case anyone wants to take a look. Machinist and VCarvePro files are too large to upload here.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Linda
Attachments
38310Z_C-TP - R.txt
3d rough cut code
(471.28 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
38310Z_C-TP - F.txt
3d finishing cut code
(463.55 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
V-Carve 1 WKWW_GV_Phone.txt
text cut code
(146.87 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Re: Bit only "cutting air" above board!

Post by Paul Z »

Linda,

The most likely cause is not having the Z Zero correct. In V Carve you have the option of setting the Z Zero point either on the top of your design or the bottom (actually the top of your spoil board). This has to match your method of z zeroing your machine.

If you selected a z zero at the machine surface and the z zeroed your machine at the top of your work piece,you will get an "air cut".

Paul Z

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Thanks Paul, but...I set my Z-0 at the top surface of my material, and it corresponds to the setting in the software...argh :shock:

dangre
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt 2'x4'

Post by dangre »

Linda,
Your gcode contains a lot of positive Z moves (air cuts if Z was set to top of material). Somehow you have either set your VCP or Machinist with positive Z settings. This is only present in your first file. The other two are fine but they only go down a couple thousandths. We will have to see your VCP files, maybe you can zip them?
-Dan

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Thanks Dan...I checked everything, but have looked at it so often, maybe I overlooked something! I will zip the program files as soon as I get a way to do it...then hopefully I will be able to upload :lol:

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paul Z »

I also noticed that the first file has mostly (all?) positive z values but there might be some sort of overall Z offset. I am not familiar with this specific controller so I am just guessing.

Linda,

You might consider regenerating your toolpaths. Is it possible that you started with Z zero at the bottom, calculated the toolpaths, then switched Z zero to the top and forgot to recalculate?

BessieHunter
Model of CNC Machine: NWA Shark II

Post by BessieHunter »

Check your Mach3 tool offsets, and make sure that it is not loading a tool offset when you load your g-code.

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

I always use the surface of the material for my Z0.

Where do I look for the Mach3 tool offsets?

I am uploading the VCarvePro 6. The gcode files are in my first post on this. The VectorArt3d file is too large to upload, even after zipping it. I could email it to anyone who would like to look at it.

Thanks,
Linda
Attachments
VCarvePro6File.zip
(690.64 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paul Z »

Linda,

I looked at your .crv file. It goes .234 inches max into the 0.5 inch material. Everything looks normal. There may be some offset for your controller (such as a bit offset) of which you are unaware?

Paul Z

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Well, I'll try anything!!

Where do I look for the offset in Mach3?

thanks,
Linda

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Linda,
I've just read this post and the other one where the cutting seems to be inverted. In mach3 you can click the tab labeled 'Offsets(Alt5)' to get the Offsets window where you can view the 'Work offsets' and the 'Tool offsets'. Click the button to the lower right hand side labeled 'Save work offsets' and the on labeled 'Save Tool offsets' and you can view the list that pops up to see if and what any offsets that have been saved are. There is also a list that will pop up if you use the Config button on the top toolbar, and select 'Fixtures' from the drop down list to show the Work offsets. If you do not see any offsets set up in the lists then I think you will need to look elsewhere to find a solution. I hope this helps some.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Linda,

Looking at your toolpath files and I would say that the Allowance for the Roughing toolpath is forcing the cutter to initially run above the material surface. If you leave the toolpath running it should eventually cut into the material as there are negative moves in the file.

As this project is relatively shallow you could just run the Finishing toolpath without a roughing pass.

The Finishing toolpath should raster across the surface slowly dropping into the material.

Tony

dangre
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt 2'x4'

Post by dangre »

Linda,
I will have to agree with Tony. The only issue is with your first tool path (*ctp-r) which appears to be a roughing pass. It does do a lot of positive z moves which may have something to do with allowance. I see that it was imported so I can't see how it was created. And like Tony said, the file still looks like it would work, just some wasted moves in space and because of the small cuts, just running the finish might be all you need to do.
-Dan