Plant stand

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Phil
Vectric Wizard

Plant stand

Post by Phil »

I'm sharing this video because I think it could be designed as a very nice CNC project. I came across this video browsing youtube shorts.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wNrYXCr0e2A

Phil
Attachments
Plant stand.GIF

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Plant stand

Post by 4DThinker »

The photo describes it as a kerf bent project. Normally kerfs are parallel cuts with a table saw blade almost all the way through a board, which leaves enough that the remaining thickness not cut though will bend easily. If true in the photo it appears the kerfs are then filled with wedge shaped slats, and some are longer to extend down to make the legs. The wedged slats could also be cut using a table saw. Any curves on the outside are done before the table saw work is my guess. I haven't watched the video.
The trick now is how to use your CNC to duplicate the efficiency of the table saw cuts?
You could come close to the same look if you simplify the idea and imagine it is made with maybe 9 barrel staves with their outer edge shaped to a nice aesthetic profiile. Every third one longer to be the legs when all glued up.
4D

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Re: Plant stand

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Kerf bending can be nice, but it can also turn into one of those "Oh, crap!" moments very easily.

Once you've got the bent part glued in place, perhaps the angle of the slats could be figured out by trial and error method. The slats do have a rectangular profile.

However, I think you'd still be going to the table saw for those slat angles, rather than the CNC.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.