Project is 12X24 but wants me to tile

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Project is 12X24 but wants me to tile

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I was bored this morning so I thought I'd play around with your file. I cleaned up the stray vectors and made this with v-carve toolpaths instead of pockets. Not better, just different. If you like it I will post the file so you can see how I did it.
Attachments
Fish on.png
Steve

shelkol
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Post by shelkol »

Nice. I usually paint before I cut. Doing it the way you did, paint the fish area red and after cutting flood the hook field with blue and the fish field with white. I think it would be beautiful, but I haven't ventured into epoxy yet lol. I am also impatient and I think the cut time would be much longer. I think I tried a while ago, but if I remember correctly I could not hog out the large areas with a 1/2" end mill and then vcarve.

Thanks

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

shelkol wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:08 pm
Nice. I usually paint before I cut. Doing it the way you did, paint the fish area red and after cutting flood the hook field with blue and the fish field with white. I think it would be beautiful, but I haven't ventured into epoxy yet lol. I am also impatient and I think the cut time would be much longer. I think I tried a while ago, but if I remember correctly I could not hog out the large areas with a 1/2" end mill and then vcarve.

Thanks
Please don't take this the wrong way but if you want to progress then you are going to have to experiment & take uncomfortable steps at some stage :lol: :lol:
A lot of this is not as complicated as a lot of people think it is, loads of good tutorials about which will help keep you straight & avoid some of the problems you might face if you were working on your own from scratch :lol: :lol:

If you are busy carrying on with something else in the workshop then longer cut times aren't such a big problem, you should be able to hog that out using a range of different sized bits, 1/2" bit probably won't fit everywhere but it should fit some of it :lol:

shelkol

Post by shelkol »

Definitely not taken the wrong way. I bought the Shapeoko 3 standard as a retirement gift to myself. I then upgraded to to the 4XL. I've tried many things, failed the first time at most of them but persevered and am very happy with the results.

One of the things I failed at was inlays and that was with the old machine. Since I am stubborn and feel it is me over the machine, it is more important at this time for me to do inlays that I'm happy with. Yes, I've watched the videos ( several times ). I understand the math and what's supposed to happen. At the moment I am blaming the accuracy of my old machine ( I've got to blame somehting other than me LOL)

But I hate painting with a passion ( almost as much as I hate sanding ) So I've experimented and found that if I paint before I cut it is less painful. Yeah, I'll get to epoxy, maybe after I do an inlay I'm happy with.

The other area that I've failed and may or may not press on is to take a boat load of photos of an object and create a 3d model and then cut that out. I don't think that is for the faint of heart lol.

Thanks

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

shelkol wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:08 pm

Thanks
Well, if you think you can use it or maybe learn from it here is a link to the file. With the toolpaths it's to big for uploading;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OS8Ca2 ... sp=sharing.
Steve

shelkol

Post by shelkol »

Nice! I checked out your file, it would take almost 5 hours to cut on my machine. While my version is no where near as nice, it only takes about 45 minutes to cut. I'm not that patient lol.

Thanks for all your help!

shelkol

Post by shelkol »

Well, I went and played with your version of the file. I changed from vcarve to pocket using a 1/4" clear and then a 30 degree v. It reduced the cutting time to about 2-1/2 hours. Like I said, I am inpatient!

A very versatile program! Just gotta keep playing with it.

Thanks
Sheldon