Deep Vcarve Inlay

Post by cncjrs »

Whats a good formula for Deep Vcarve Inlay? Where the inlay is 1/4" thick

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Re: Deep Vcarve Inlay

Post by AboveCreations »

Not sure what you mean by deep vcarve inlay. With a 1/4" inlay material, you aren't going to get any deeper than 1/4". So I would just stick to the Zank Vinlay which Beki setup. See the attached pic!
ZANK VINLAY BEKI DIAGRAM.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Deep Vcarve Inlay

Post by adze_cnc »

cncjrs wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:53 pm
Where the inlay is 1/4" thick
A good formula? E=mc^2 ; f=ma ; f(x) = x^2 + c

But seriously folks... When you say "inlay is 1/4" thick" is that overall thickness for the material that the inlaid piece will be cut from (as AboveCreations is presuming) or is that you want 1/4" of material to inlaid into a socket and that the material is actually thicker?

I'd suggest looking at two posts (both by me *blush*):
  1. a simplified diagram than the one posted above and an explanation of what the various depths mean: here
  2. an analysis of someone's project to figure out depths required: here
The general problem, I find, with the myriad images such as above is that they focus so much on what start and flat depths correspond to they confuse the viewer. Far better to know that there are only three numbers to determine and only one is common to both socket and plug. And that with those three numbers you can determine starting depths.

E.g. material to inlay 1/4" (A) ; "glue gap" 0.01" (C); "air gap 1/16" (B) — letters per my diagram:
  • socket: start depth = 0 ; flat depth = 0.26 ( A+C ; 0.25+0.01)
  • plug: start depth = 0.25 (A) ; flat depth = 0.0625 (B)
Tapered inlays are far easier than people want to make them out to be. At their simplest you can use:
  • socket: start depth =0 ; flat depth = x
  • plug: start depth = x; flat depth = 0
Done! Easy-peasy. Actually you need to use 0.0001 for the plug flat depth as Vectric product won't allow 0. But in the grand scheme of things 0 and 0.0001 are basically the same if you're using wood.