V Carve Question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
19mark45@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

V Carve Question

Post by 19mark45@gmail.com »

I want to make some coasters using a Celtic Knot design. The coaster is going on a piece of wood 4x4 in., coaster diameter is 4 in., and the design to be done with a V bit. I've attached a copy of the file and I am wondering if someone can tell me how to do the V cut without cutting completely through the wood?
Attachments
New.crv
(85 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: V Carve Question

Post by ohiolyons »

You have 24 zero length spans, run the vector validator to locate and fix.

You have no toolpaths in your file.
So we are going to have to guess.
How you solve the problem depends on which toolpath you desire to use.

I'm uncertain how you would make a good looking Keltic knot with a v-bit.
In order to get it rounded you would need a finishing toolpath with a ball nose.

Is this a double sided job?
The file you provided is double sided.

You can do a Profile toolpath on the vector and set the depth of cut to what ever depth you require.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

19mark45@gmail.com wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:36 pm
if someone can tell me how to do the V cut without cutting completely through the wood?
There's basically only two ways when using a "V-Carve / Engraving Toolpath" to prevent cutting all the way through:
  1. use a bit with a larger angle than the one that it is "cutting all the way through". For the file file posted 60 deg or larger looks plenty good enough
  2. use a flat depth to limit how deep the bit goes
See the help file here.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Perhaps this is what you are trying to do? I didn't mess with the zero-length issues since vcarve toolpath doesn't care about them in this toolpath. I added another inner circle to create a better outside lip, otherwise it was too pointy and would look terrible. Of course I set the depth to .12" on the front for both vcarve and the .125" end mill. The front side doesn't really cut it out. It just makes the bottom cut out so much easier. Then on the bottom side I set the depth to .12" for the vcarve toolpath and .14 so the tool makes a complete cut out. You can remove the tabs if you want. Lastly, I added .125" double sided holes on the material and the bottom side for the spoilboard. Hopefully this is what you are looking to accomplish. It looks pretty nice to me.

Edit: be sure to watch the toolpath speeds, feeds so they match your machine. I was very conservative in them, but please look at each toolpath settings.
Attachments
CelticKnotCoaster.crv
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 43 times

19mark45@gmail.com

Gentlemen: I apologize for being slow to reply, but know that I deeply appreciate you input. Thanks so much.

19mark45@gmail.com

ADZE: Some time ago I asked a question about a V carve inlay project I was working on. After completing the project I posted a thank you to the general community. However, I wanted to especially thank you for the help you gave me. I have attached a picture of the project as it turned out. So, let me say thank you again for your help.

Blessings
Attachments
Cutting Board.jpg