Easy Zank Maker 2.0 Gadget

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
19mark45@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Easy Zank Maker 2.0 Gadget

Post by 19mark45@gmail.com »

Am wondering if anyone is familiar with Easy Zank Maker 2.0 Gadget and can answer a question. I'm trying to do a V Carve inlay with a bit of detail which required me to use a 1/16 down cut end mill. The project requires a 3/4 inch clearance around it. If I clear that area with the 1/16 bit the run time is over 3 hours. If I use a combination of a 1/4 and 1/16 end mills I can cut the run time down to under an hour.

I have just discovered the Easy Zank Maker 2.0 Gadget and to be honest at this point I don't know anything about it. However, I have noticed that it only allows for one clearance tool. If I use this then I'm locking myself into a long run time. Is there a way around this?

One last question: if the start depth of the inlay is .09 and the flat depth is .02,, using the Gadget and my 1/16, is the first pass going to be at the tool setup depth per pass or is it going to be .09? If the first run is at .09 then it is going to break the tool for sure.

Thanks,
Mark

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Easy Zank Maker 2.0 Gadget

Post by ohiolyons »

Does this post help?

viewtopic.php?t=38177
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Rather than the first link ohiolyons posted you should visit this one. That is where Jim withdrew the gadget. The second link goes to the original posting on how to make these tapered inlays (from 2006!). You might check my Dec 2021 post there for a, I think, simple precis of the procedure.

You might want to check out this post: Tapered Inlay (Paul Zank method) Plug with Rough Clearing: release for my replacement for Jim's gadget. In particular you can find the latest version for downloading: here

This gadget does only allow the selection of one clearing tool. But that is a limitation of the gadget programmer's interface (a.k.a. the SDK or API) from Vectric. After the toolpaths are created by the gadget other area clearance tools can be added manually.

This question seems to be related to your earlier post: How to reduce runtime which was never followed up upon.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

19mark45@gmail.com wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:04 pm
One last question: if the start depth of the inlay is .09 and the flat depth is .02,, using the Gadget and my 1/16, is the first pass going to be at the tool setup depth per pass or is it going to be .09? If the first run is at .09 then it is going to break the tool for sure.
If you use the gadget that I wrote (which was to overcome that start depth with fine tools problem) it takes the smaller of the 1/16" tool's pass depth and the v-bit's pass depth and uses that to create the roughing toolpaths down to the 0.09" that you want. Thus ensuring that the more delicate tool is not compromised.

19mark45@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Post by 19mark45@gmail.com »

You commented that I never replied to the post on how to reduce run time. After posting that I learned that I could use more than one clearing tool (am very new to this). When I found that it reduced my run time for over 3 hours to around 45 minutes. Maybe I should have posted that I found that.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

One way of decreasing time in this case might also be re-thinking if the 1/16” cutter is necessary. Can a similar result be obtained via a 1/8” cutter? Or just the 1/4” cutter? An 1/8” cutter can have a deeper pass depth and can have a higher feed rate.

If there are spaces where only a 1/16” cutter can go then the v-bit should be able to take care of those fairly well and much quicker than a 1/16” cutter.