Creating CNC tool path from a STL file

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Nitehawkhp2
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Leads 1010

Creating CNC tool path from a STL file

Post by Nitehawkhp2 »

Hello,

This is my first time posting in the Vectric Forum for quite some time and hope that someone might be able to help me. I have had my Vectric software for several years, but have not used it until recently. Therefore, I know little about the software or how it actually works. I have been watching the tutorial videos and trying to understand how to make the software do what I desire, and therein rests my biggest challenge. I seem to only find the opposite of what I desire. With that being said, I'm trying to make grips for a 1911 handgun out of wood and found some profiles on the GrabCad website. However, most of them are in either STL or igs.

Is it possible to have VCarve Pro generate gcode to cut the grips on my CNC machine? Can some explain how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to me.

Rod

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Creating CNC tool path from a STL file

Post by ohiolyons »

Import the STL file.

Position it in the material.

Create toolpath both roughing and finishing.

There are detailed tutorials on vectric website and youtube on the importing process as well as creating toolpaths.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

1.) Import grip model.
2.) In job setup adjust model within material board.
3.) Create roughing toolpath
4.) Create Finish toolpath
5.) Preview toolpaths
6.) If toolpaths are acceptable save them using correct pot processor for your machine.

Quick and dirty - any questions?

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you go to the tutorial section & use the keyword search with stl then you will find a tutorial explaining how to import an stl file into the software, the tutorials are always the latest version. What version of the software are you using? Other thing you could try is a search on youtube for importing an stl with your version number as a lot of youtube content will have been created using older versions :lol: :lol:
Look up Mark Lindsay on youtube, he has a whole section on CNC for that absolute beginner so there will be a lot there to help you.
Have a search on the forum as gun grips have been talked about a few times & there are files you can download from some of those posts, pretty sure 1911 grips are one of the types that people have added files for but no idea what they are like :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Do a search hear on the forum for "pistol grips". Lots of info on how others have made some great looking pistol grips for different types of pistols.
Steve

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

A while back I designed a set of 1911 grip panels in VC Desktop. I used tool paths entirely within the program, no stl. needed. The result is a basic smooth grip panel onto which you can project any design or stl.; Rampant Colt for example. The design has one anomaly I couldn't resolve. Because the moulding tool paths overlap as the drive rails approach the top of the panels, there is a sleight thinning of the profile. Only a few thousandths and not really noticeable in function, but it is there.

Ed
Attachments
1911 Grip Panels L&R9.5.crv
(690 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

I would like to point out that there are some problems with some of the vectors in that file. I used the Vector Validator and found that there are many overlaps and intersections on the profile vector of either the RH or LH grip. I would have provided an new file but that takes all the "FUN" out of finding and fixing the file.

Happy Hunting!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The offending overlap is the shape in the "Layer 2" layer. It's actually an open shape that loops back upon itself. In the image I just moved a bunch of nodes aside to show the loop-back. There is an extra arc on the right side that I didn't catch in the image.

overlap.png

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

WOW!!! Good Job Stephen!!!

Interesting Hunting, HUH???

I have created models for both right and left grips. Just finished adding a double Diamond cross hatch pattern to the Right Grip.
1911 RH Double Diamond Grip.png
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554