This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Basic design

Post by Adrian »

jlnlcrafts wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:22 am
Ok, still having issues. I am just trying to carve 50 stars .125 deep. I am using 1/8 end mill, Updated V-carve desktop. Using OpenBuilds controller. Attached are the files and picks. I can't get the 5 point star straight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You've got lots wrong as has been said. You've generated a toolpath using two tools so you won't get a finished star unless you run both toolpaths using the correct bits. You're using a 1/4" and 1/8" bit in the toolpath but you only ever mention a 1/8" bit so I'm guessing you're unaware that it's a two part toolpath?

You also say you're cutting 0.125" deep but you're not as you've set the cut depth to 0.065" in the toolpath so that is as deep as it will cut.

The quality of the cut in the picture is terrible so you're either a long way out with your feed rates, the bit is not sharp or there is something not right with your machine.

I would go back to basics and try some simple squares and circles. Once you have those cutting successfully you can move on from there. At the moment there seems to be some misunderstandings on your part on how to use the software and possible machine issues so there's a lot of potential failure points.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The star comes out slanted every time.
I can't get the 5 point star straight.
I’m still trying figure out what being crooked is referring to...

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

If his photograph is taken straight on then the star is definitely distorted compared to the ones in the .crv file he posted. It looks like one of the axes is not calibrated the same as the other.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

dealguy11 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:09 pm
If his photograph is taken straight on then the star is definitely distorted compared to the ones in the .crv file he posted. It looks like one of the axes is not calibrated the same as the other.
Be good to get some feedback from the OP about that, I actually thought that the picture had been taken at a strange angle rather than straight on but it is difficult to tell for sure :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Maybe something like this? I made it using the star drawing tool and the array copy tool in about 10 minutes. If you decide to use it be sure to adjust the bit feeds and speeds for your machine.
Attachments
Flag stars.png
Flag stars.crv
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Steve

jlnlcrafts
Model of CNC Machine: YoraHome 3036

Post by jlnlcrafts »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Made the recommended corrections. Still carving the star slanted. Any other ideas?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

If you draw a 1-inch square and create a pocket toolpath (using both the 1/4” and 1/8” bits if you like). Does it come out square?

For a moment let’s get away from drawn slanted stars in a file cutting out slanted being a problem. We know what a square should look like.

jlnlcrafts

Post by jlnlcrafts »

I drew up a 1 inch by 1 inch square, saved as a pocket tool path. Carved a 1 inch height by .500 inch width rectangle.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Sounds like your axis are not calibrated correctly. Did you check the calibration of all 3 axis when you got the machine?
Did it cut the correct depth?

You need to check the axis are calibrated so the machine moves correctly, how you do that will depend on what control software you are using for your CNC machine :lol: :lol:

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

jlnlcrafts wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:08 am
I drew up a 1 inch by 1 inch square, saved as a pocket tool path. Carved a 1 inch height by .500 inch width rectangle.
Which control software are you using? Is it by some chance mach3? It sounds like the mach3 isn't setup properly for your machine. Can you possibly post the vcarve file with the toolpaths set to cut? Or perhaps the post processor gcode file. If the gcode is set to cut properly, then it has to either be your control software isn't correctly set for your machine, or your machine is not properly set up.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

AboveCreations wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:39 pm
Which control software are you using? Is it by some chance mach3? It sounds like the mach3 isn't setup properly for your machine. Can you possibly post the vcarve file with the toolpaths set to cut? Or perhaps the post processor gcode file. If the gcode is set to cut properly, then it has to either be your control software isn't correctly set for your machine, or your machine is not properly set up.
A VCarve file is on the first page of the thread. There are lots of issues with it as covered in the subsequent replies. It's come down to the likelihood that one axis isn't properly calibrated.

jlnlcrafts

Post by jlnlcrafts »

Calibrated the three axis, worked. Thanks for everyone's help.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:02 pm
AboveCreations wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:39 pm
A VCarve file is on the first page of the thread. There are lots of issues with it as covered in the subsequent replies. It's come down to the likelihood that one axis isn't properly calibrated.
Yes, I see now that post #7 has the vcarve file and that they state which controller. Sorry, I sometimes neglect to read every post when the thread gets larger and larger with repeated issues.