Final pass on cutout

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TomGB
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SharkHD4

Final pass on cutout

Post by TomGB »

For cutting out 3/4 hardwoods (Mahogany, Cherry, Maple,& Walnut) I've been trying the "Last Pass Allowance" option to try to remove the witness lines from the various pass depths. I'm looking for some guidance on how much of an offset I can apply when using an !/8" and 1/4" endmill for the 3/4" thick last pass.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Final pass on cutout

Post by Adrian »

So much depends on the capabilities of the machine. I do it slightly differently as I don't use the last past allowance but have two separate toolpaths merged into one which gives me better control of feed rates etc. For what it's worth my allowance is 0.5mm for hardwood.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

So the last past has an issue, even if you specify leads. It is straight down possibly leaving a witness mark.

So the solution is to do the two toolpaths.

Select the vector.
Create the first toolpath and utilize an (i generally use 0.02") allowance offset to make bigger or smaller depending on whether it is an inside or outside cut.
From the tool you selected a default number of passes will be calculated based on your pass depth in your tool database.
Use leads.

Select the same vector.
Create the second toolpath and reset the allowance offset to zero.
Edit the number of passes to one.
Use leads.

Run them separately or combine then as Adrian does.
To combine them into one toolpath select the Visible toolpaths to one file option.

Hopefully I have spelled out the way Adrian does it properly, I using my memory from previous posts he commented on.

Ramping will help reduce vertical insertion witness lines also.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

Positive Allowance Offset
positive.jpg
No Allowance Offset
zeo.jpg
Negative Allowance Offset
negative.jpg
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

ohiolyons wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:33 pm
So the last past has an issue, even if you specify leads. It is straight down possibly leaving a witness mark.
Yes and no. If you use the "Ramp of Lead In", which only ramps over the length of the lead, option it appears to be straight down but that's only because so many people set such a short lead that it appears to be plunging straight. This image shows a "Ramp on Lead In" with a large lead value and a last pass of 3/16". The plunge is curved.

ramp-on-lead.png

If you don't specify "Ramp on Lead In" it will create a normal ramp and lead in.

ramp-full.png

Also attached is an animation to show the result of that (click on "broken" attachment icon).
Attachments
last-pass.gif