Import PDF

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WoodStudioIA
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23

Import PDF

Post by WoodStudioIA »

I have a full size furniture plan that I had copied to a PDF at the local office supply store. I can open the PDF with no issues on the computer. When I try to import the PDF into VCarve Pro 11 all I get is a Black Box. (See picture attached). I searched the forum and don't see an answer to this one. How can I import this PDF?

Thanks,
Joe
Attachments
RC.PNG

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Import PDF

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Send the PDF to support@vectric.com and they should be able to provide an answer.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

I think that the issue with PDFs sometime is that they are imported as multiple pages/layers, so you might be looking at the first page which might be a raster (JPG, PNG,etc) image.

When you say you "opened" the file on your computer, what program did you view it in? Adobe Acrobat (or similar PDF viewer) or a vector platform (Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, etc)? They (at the office supply store) might have saved it in raster format rather than vector format. PDF files can contain many types of items (raster, vector, even 3D files), so you might have to open the file in a vector program (Illustrator, etc), copy the vectors (assuming they were saved in that format) and create a new file, and then import that into VCarve.

Allan

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CNC 4x4

Post by ken.gentry »

You could open the PDF in Inkscape (free, open source vector graphic drawing too) and then export the file as SVG. The SVG may import better than the PDF.

Also regardless of import format make sure you use the "Vector Valdiator" tool in VCarve to spot and fix any import issues.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

If the PDF file contains any vector information exporting as SVG might help. But as it is from a copy shop I’d expect it to be a scan of the source document and would contain only an embedded image file perhaps with some “masking” layer as mentioned above.