Cat and Mouse automata

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Cat and Mouse automata

Post by Onetrack »

Hi all, here's a photo of my Cat and Mouse automata. No one can resist turning the handle!

https://portal.vectric.com/content/p/Ga ... seAutomata

Season's greetings from North Wiltshire, UK.
Attachments
IMG_20211204_110832_copy_2282x1712.jpg
The more I learn the more I forget.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Cat and Mouse automata

Post by Phil »

Cool. :D :D

Phil

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Onetrack wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:12 pm
Hi all, here's a photo of my Cat and Mouse automata. No one can resist turning the handle!

https://portal.vectric.com/content/p/Ga ... seAutomata

Season's greetings from North Wiltshire, UK.
Hi. I went to the link you provided and the page states the project is for Aspire and Vcarve. After downloading the project, I only see a crv3d project file. Us Vcarve Desktop folks can't open that.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

by AboveCreations - - Hi. I went to the link you provided and the page states the project is for Aspire and Vcarve. After downloading the project, I only see a crv3d project file. Us Vcarve Desktop folks can't open that.
There is an .EPS file provided of the vectors that you import into your software. Then you create your toolpaths using those vectors.

You can download a trial version of Aspire load the .crv3d file into it to get an idea of how the toolpaths are configured.

This fashion/technique is a great way for an individual to learn how to do things on their own.

Note: It would definitely help by looking at the supplied .pdf file first to determine the project size and whether it is an imperial or metric project. (dimensions are provided for both) The.eps file is imperial

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Guess it was an oversight when that project was created. There's no 3D aspect to it. It's just straight vectors but it's been saved in Aspire format rather than VCarve format.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

+1 Agree

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman

Post by AboveCreations »

sharkcutup wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:12 pm
by AboveCreations - - Hi. I went to the link you provided and the page states the project is for Aspire and Vcarve. After downloading the project, I only see a crv3d project file. Us Vcarve Desktop folks can't open that.
There is an .EPS file provided of the vectors that you import into your software. Then you create your toolpaths using those vectors.

You can download a trial version of Aspire load the .crv3d file into it to get an idea of how the toolpaths are configured.

This fashion/technique is a great way for an individual to learn how to do things on their own.

Note: It would definitely help by looking at the supplied .pdf file first to determine the project size and whether it is an imperial or metric project. (dimensions are provided for both) The.eps file is imperial

Sharkcutup
I shouldn't have to import a 2D vector .eps file to understand the project. Plus .eps vector files don't have toolpath information. They should add a Vcarve project file to the .zip.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

I shouldn't have to import a 2D vector .eps file to understand the project. Plus .eps vector files don't have toolpath information. They should add a Vcarve project file to the .zip.
I agree maybe they should have included a.crv file to the .zip file. I was just pointing out that the project still can be performed. It is not as if nothing was there in the zip for V-Carve software owners to use.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman

Post by AboveCreations »

I seen the .eps file, but it doesn't help with the build as a .crv file would. The .pdf has a blow-up of the build, but it doesn't help with things like what tool did he use to cut out the small gear teeth. Things like that which only the Vcarve file would answer. I have downloaded many Vectric project files, at least to inspect and understand the build concept, tools used, etc.; and if the project stated it was Aspire and Vcarve, there would be a .crv file in the project. I was replying to the OP if they could add a .crv file for us Vcarve customers as the project notes.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The file calls for a 1/16" endmill to cut it.

Olly
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot, CNC Shark

Post by Olly »

Hi all,
We have now updated the download files to include a .crv file as this should have been included.
Hope this helps!
Thanks
Olly

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman

Post by AboveCreations »

Thank you...

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by Onetrack »

Hi all, here's my VCarve 10.5 version (picture in the original post) that uses crown gears rather than conventional toothed bevelled gears. I also used thicker, 9mm ply and 5mm dowel. I hope if is of interest to someone. Please let me know!
Attachments
CAT AND MOUSE AUTOMATA VECTORS JSv5.crv
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
The more I learn the more I forget.