out of ideas

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Carve King

out of ideas

Post by electrictermite »

trying to do v carve inlay. you can see from pics the letter N has some left but it has been lowered. the letter W has some left. the letter S was the last thing cut but turned out perfect. I set z back up and ran it again. it ran the same path along the same piece of wood. i am confused because how could it mess up N and W but not the S. Vcarve software showed no errors when i was making it and it came out perfect on the preview screen. before someone tells me its the carve king machine first tell me how it can screw up 2 letters but not the last letter and i ran it twice over the same cut out with the same results. i posted 3 pics but it is 1 piece of wood and all 3 letters done at same time.
Attachments
n.jpg
w.jpg
s.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: out of ideas

Post by adze_cnc »

My initial thought has to be: the bit(s) used to cut the piece differ physically from those specified in the toolpaths.

For v-carve inlay pocket the “S” has very little angle to the walls.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I agree with Steven. All the letters seem to have vertical or very close to vertical walls so it doesn't like you're cutting with a v-bit.

Did you specify a clearance tool in the toolpath and only run the toolpath for the clearance tool rather than all the toolpaths created?

electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice

i used the Amana 46200K and the Amana vectric toolbase download.
Attachments
Amana 46200K.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Check you don't have more than one tool selected in the job set up as Adrian has mentioned, that could explain why it has left that extra material, why did it clear all the letter S well that may just be down to the width of the tool & you got lucky with the S, if you look at the W & the N the extra material is left where the letter is wider :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

electrictermite wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:51 pm
That's an endmill though rather than a v-bit. The only way you can use that with a v-carve toolpath (the type of toolpath the vinlay uses) is to setup it as a clearance tool but you still have to set up a v-bit in the same toolpath.

When you press Calculate the software then creates one toolpath for each clearance tool and a toolpath for the v-bit. You then have to run each toolpath in order ending with the v-bit one.

If you can attach the actual VCarve (CRV) file that you have then it will make it easier for us to tell you exactly what you need to in relation that job.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

After a cursory look at the tool definition image I'd have to question the 70% step-over. Step-overs greater than 50% can cause problems with pocket-like toolpaths.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Adrian wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:13 pm
electrictermite wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:51 pm
That's an endmill though rather than a v-bit. The only way you can use that with a v-carve toolpath (the type of toolpath the vinlay uses) is to setup it as a clearance tool but you still have to set up a v-bit in the same toolpath.

When you press Calculate the software then creates one toolpath for each clearance tool and a toolpath for the v-bit. You then have to run each toolpath in order ending with the v-bit one.

If you can attach the actual VCarve (CRV) file that you have then it will make it easier for us to tell you exactly what you need to in relation that job.
I'm not so sure it is a Vcarve toolpath Adrian, I think it could be an inlay toolpath, the CRV file will tell us one way or the other if the OP can provide it :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

martin54 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:15 pm

I'm not so sure it is a Vcarve toolpath Adrian, I think it could be an inlay toolpath, the CRV file will tell us one way or the other if the OP can provide it :lol: :lol:
Possibly, it's one of those terminology things again. People say vinlay, v carve inlay, vcarve inlay etc when they all mean the Zank method rather than the built-in inlay.

What makes me think that it might well be a v-carve toolpath is that the only way I could even get close to reproducing what the OP pictures show is by running a clearance toolpath but even that isn't exactly the same.

It may well be the 70% stepover if it's the inlay pocket toolpath being used but the letters would need to be quite small for it to behave like that.

Hopefully a file will be forthcoming as I'm really curious now. I do love a good mystery!

electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice

attached is the crv file
Attachments
New.crv
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 56 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

This post seems to be an extension of that post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38311&p=279011#p279011

If the "that" post never got resolved then "this" post probably won't either. Long and short: if the preview is good and the execution is not then 999 time out of 1,000 (made up statistic) it's the execution where you should look.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You've got "Project onto 3D model" checked but there is no 3D model in the job. I'm pretty sure that's not the issue but it has been known to cause issues with that set when it shouldn't be.

As Steven says if you didn't get to the root of the issue last time then it's probably going to still be there.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I just had another look at the preview compared to your pictures and it looks like a machine issue to me. Compare the left hand side of the W from the picture to the preview. In the preview the sides are parallel in the cut they're widening out and the bottom curves of the W are a lot bigger.

Similar thing with the N. The centre section is far wider than in the preview. In each of those areas you have that island. With the S it's constant curves rather than straights so the loading on the bit is different.
Attachments
BASE CLEAR.jpg
Last edited by Adrian on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I see things I would not do - BUT - I don't see enough wrong that it would not work.

First you mount one piece of wood and run the first two toolpaths.
That makes the inlay female pocket.

Then you remove that first piece

Then you put a new piece of wood and run the second two toolpaths.
That makes the male insert.

Is that what you did?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice

Should I try to run clearing endmill with pocket function and follow up running vbit with vcarve funtion to clean up