recutting already cut paths

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
devinfox
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre IS510

recutting already cut paths

Post by devinfox »

Hi, I am trying to cut some square trim out of sheets of MDF for my father and I am wondering if there is a way to set up the toolpath so that it does not recut an already cut side. It recuts one already cut side everytime as I am having it with no extra width besides the tool diameter. I have attached a PDF of the file in question for reference. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.
thanks, Devin
Attachments
trim.pdf
(92.33 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: recutting already cut paths

Post by ohiolyons »

Post the file.

If it is too large use drop box or google drive, etc.
Last edited by ohiolyons on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

You would have to draw vectors that had only 3 sides.
Lining them up to get the exact widths would be a pain in the behind.
Would crate tabbing issues too.

Why are you cutting this with a CNC when a table saw should be your weapon of choice?

Not everything is done better on a CNC.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

devinfox wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:46 pm
Hi, I am trying to cut some square trim out of sheets of MDF for my father and I am wondering if there is a way to set up the toolpath so that it does not recut an already cut side. It recuts one already cut side everytime as I am having it with no extra width besides the tool diameter. I have attached a PDF of the file in question for reference. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.
thanks, Devin
Devin, I also agree that I would need to see your .crv file because I am clueless as to what you are trying to achieve. That .pdf doesn't help. I don't know what you mean by "cut some trim out of sheets". Looking at the .pdf, it looks like you are attempting some kind of pocket toolpath. Please provide the .crv file and a bit clearer explanation.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Looks to me as though you're trying to cut a series of rectangular strips and you've drawn them as rectangles almost touching each other and you want them to be cut once on the "common" side. The software treats each rectangle as it's own cut so, although it may look obvious to the human eye that it should be a single cut, the software doesn't know that.

To do that you would need to draw open vectors as a series of vertical lines not closed rectangles and use a Profile toolpath set to be On the vector.

As has been said a lot depends on how you expect to hold down the pieces.

devinfox
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre IS510

Post by devinfox »

Thanks all for the responses. We are cutting out of 3/4 MDF 5' x 10' which weighs over 160lbs per sheet, I used to process cabinet carcasses single handed on the table saw, but not anymore and sure as hell not with these beasts. I have a vacuum hold down, I was mainly curious about how the software would treat the vectors. I see now that an open vector would be the only way. It is pretty dang fast as is and I can be doing something else while a sheet processes. I was just curious if I had missed a setting somewhere that would eliminate this.