inlay

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Carve King

inlay

Post by electrictermite »

below is a inlay plug that is not coming out right and I can not figure out why. some of the N letter is cut away and there is some of the wall on both side of the N left. the W is not straight on the side.
Attachments
clearing.jpg
finish.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: inlay

Post by Adrian »

You really need to attach the CRV file for the project as there are multiple reasons why you might be getting issues like that not all of which are within VCarve so it's a process of elimination.

Generally if the actual result does not match what you're seeing in the preview the only cause within VCarve is that you're using feed rates/pass depths that are too much for your machine, you're using a different tool to the one you've told VCarve you're using or you're using the wrong post processor.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Is this the VCarve builtin inlay toolpath or is this using the v-inlay technique (a.k.a. Zank inlay ; a.k.a. V-carve inlay) mentioned in this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=564 ?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Also, if the preview looks the same as what your cut is is the "N" vector an open vector? Is the "N" a vector at all but instead a text object?

electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice

adze_cnc wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:17 am
Is this the VCarve builtin inlay toolpath or is this using the v-inlay technique (a.k.a. Zank inlay ; a.k.a. V-carve inlay) mentioned in this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=564 ?
I used the v carve button and not the inlay button on vcarve software.

electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice

adze_cnc wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:19 am
Also, if the preview looks the same as what your cut is is the "N" vector an open vector? Is the "N" a vector at all but instead a text object?
The software preview looked clean and correct for all letters and not like the result where the N is not equal width along the letter. the W also has a curve at one spot which looked clean on the preview. the software did not flag any open vector or problem. i have started fresh twice from scratch with a new design of the letters size and both times the N and W have not came out right.

electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice

Adrian wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:16 am
You really need to attach the CRV file for the project as there are multiple reasons why you might be getting issues like that not all of which are within VCarve so it's a process of elimination.

Generally if the actual result does not match what you're seeing in the preview the only cause within VCarve is that you're using feed rates/pass depths that are too much for your machine, you're using a different tool to the one you've told VCarve you're using or you're using the wrong post processor.
here are the files.This is the first time i have tried inlays. the software and machine have worked fine over the years on 3d models and other projects.
Attachments
NWS BASE AND PLUG.crv
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 39 times

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

First thing that I see is that you are using a tapered ballnose bit and that just isn't going to work for this procedure. Use an 18 degree V-bit (or any other V-bit) that can be purchased from ToolsToday. Your clearance tool is working fine. As for depth settings I use the following:

Female - Start Depth of 0.00" / Flat bottom of .2"
Male - Start Depth of .18" / Flat Bottom of .02"

Bill

electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice

Bill_L wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:50 pm
First thing that I see is that you are using a tapered ballnose bit and that just isn't going to work for this procedure. Use an 18 degree V-bit (or any other V-bit) that can be purchased from ToolsToday. Your clearance tool is working fine. As for depth settings I use the following:

Female - Start Depth of 0.00" / Flat bottom of .2"
Male - Start Depth of .18" / Flat Bottom of .02"

Bill
The clearance tool screwed up the N when i ran it. I do not understand when you say the clearance tool is working fine.

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Bill_L »

When running the simulation your clearance tool does what it is suppose to. You cannot however, use a tapered BN in this process.

If I run the clearance simulation the result is as expected. When you run the "2nd Step Finish" you can see why the BN bit doesn't work.
Attachments
V-Carve.jpg
BN.jpg

electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice

Bill_L wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:36 pm
When running the simulation your clearance tool does what it is suppose to. You cannot however, use a tapered BN in this process.

If I run the clearance simulation the result is as expected. When you run the "2nd Step Finish" you can see why the BN bit doesn't work.
Yes the simulation is fine but the actual running of the clearance does not come out looking like the simulation.

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Bill_L »

Then the problem is not the software. It is most likely due to a machine related issue.

Bill

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Possibly the workpiece is shifting during milling?
I want to be unique like everyone else.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Is the machine and controller grounded properly? After I setup my new machine years ago, I couldn't figure out why it was losing steps or even changing them sometimes. And it was erratic. Until I figured out that not having them both properly grounded was causing static. Never had another issue since I ground both the machine and the controller to a ground that leads to a metal stake in the ground outside.