Excessive Carving in Finish Pass

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jmdodd95682
Model of CNC Machine: Evolution 4

Excessive Carving in Finish Pass

Post by jmdodd95682 »

I have a project which uses VCarve Desktop to carve out the 4 sides of a box with box-joints. All 4 sides are carved from the same job board (with a small separation). The sides are then manually removed and assembled into box using the carved box joints. Its a 2.5D kind of project.

My problem is that the Finish pass insists on moving the tool over the entire model even though 90% of the model is flush with the surface of the job board. It blows up the run time to 2.5Hours for a small box. I seems independent of where I set the modeling surface. I've attached the images of the imported model and the tool path for the Finish pass to explain it better.

How do I get the finish pass to NOT move the tool over the part of the model which is flush with the top of the job board?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-22 080714.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-22 093020.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Excessive Carving in Finish Pass

Post by Adrian »

Why are you cutting that as 3D job? Looks all 2D to me.

If you really want to do it as a 3D job then you can use vectors to limit the machining area.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

+1 on what Adrian has said, you can cut that much faster using 2D toolpaths :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

jmdodd95682 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:31 pm
...... I seems independent of where I set the modeling surface. ......
Yes, it is independent of the modeling surface. It IS dependent on vector boundaries.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

jmdodd95682
Model of CNC Machine: Evolution 4

Post by jmdodd95682 »

Thanks for the feedback! I had originally done it as 3D because when the box-joint cutouts are carved, the interior corners will be round to the diameter of the tool. Nothing I can do about that. But the box-joint tab on its mate will be square since they are on the surface of the job board. When they are put together the joint will not fit right. The solution is to do it as a 3D model so that I can carve the box-joint tabs to have rounded surfaces to the same diameter. Seems like a simple solution, but the efficiency is terrible.

I've since modified my scripts to generate a 2D set of vectors to feed into VCarve. It is faster as you say (~ 1 hour), but I have to some manual sanding to make the box joints fix properly. So, it's a trade-off. Sure better than having to baby sit the machine for 4.5 hours
to make 4 sides of a box. :D

It would be a nice feature of VCarve to have a way to exclude certain portions of the 3D model from any carving. Sort of a "no fly zone". This would reduce the run-time considerably for cases like this.

Thanks again!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

jmdodd95682 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:56 pm

I've since modified my scripts to generate a 2D set of vectors to feed into VCarve. It is faster as you say (~ 1 hour), but I have to some manual sanding to make the box joints fix properly. So, it's a trade-off. Sure better than having to baby sit the machine for 4.5 hours
to make 4 sides of a box. :D

It would be a nice feature of VCarve to have a way to exclude certain portions of the 3D model from any carving. Sort of a "no fly zone". This would reduce the run-time considerably for cases like this.

Thanks again!
The way round that with a 2D job is to use the dog bone fillet options on the inside corners so the square edge will fit in there.

VCarve does have the ability to exclude areas from cutting in 3D already. Draw vectors around the sections you want 3D machined and set the toolpath to the Selected Vector(s) options.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

How about a plunge round over bit to profile the appropriate edges.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

the interior corners will be round to the diameter of the tool. Nothing I can do about that. But the box-joint tab on its mate will be square since they are on the surface of the job board.

That's what wood chisels are for :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only take a couple of mins to clear out rather than hours of extra carving. The CNC should really just be another tool in your shop, it's easy to get sucked in to doing everything on the CNC when you have one but often things are done quicker using other tools :lol: :lol:

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Or switch to a joint that can be cut on the CNC. 50 Digital Wood Joints by Jochen Gros
Jigsaw-Mitre-Joint.jpeg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:19 pm
Or switch to a joint that can be cut on the CNC. 50 Digital Wood Joints by Jochen Gros

Jigsaw-Mitre-Joint.jpeg
Good post Randall, I've got that somewhere & forgot I had it :lol: :lol:

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Jigsaw-Mitre-Joint.jpeg
I have created a couple of these joints on my CNC Machine. They work very well!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004