French Cleat - How to efficiently cut?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
DaddyFox
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodmaster

French Cleat - How to efficiently cut?

Post by DaddyFox »

I needed to cut a French cleat on a piece. I used a 90 degree v-bit with a moulding toolpath. It took forever to cut.

What is the most efficient way to put a French cleat (.e.g 45 deg profile) along the edge of a piece?

Thx,
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: French Cleat - How to efficiently cut?

Post by Adrian »

Depends on the dimensions, the size of bit available, how many are being cut in one go and a few other factors that I probably haven't thought of.

The most efficient way is to use a profile cut with the 90 degree bit so you end up with two pieces with a 45 on them (unless you're cutting on the edge). Material size and bit size comes into it a lot though.

Next most efficient would be to draw a rectangle and use a v-carve toolpath which would get around bit size problems.

As for the moulding toolpath it would probably have been more efficient to use a ballnose or endmill. Stepover plays a big part in the speed of that toolpath as well.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Pictures help :lol: :lol:

Adrian can't give you the best answer because he doesn't have enough detail to be able to do that & for me the most efficient way to cut one would be on a table saw & attach one half to the work piece but that's not the answer your looking for :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Definitely table saw.

Phil

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I'd also use a table saw for this. If you have to use a CNC, then a profile cut, on the vector, with a 90-degree vbit would do it, assuming your machine can run a 90-degree bit with a wide enough diameter to cut through. If you're cutting 3/4" material you'll need a bit with 1 1/2" diameter.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

DaddyFox
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodmaster

Post by DaddyFox »

Thank you all for the replies.

Yes, in the future I would likely use my router table since the piece is too small where I'd feel comfortable on the table saw.

The piece was only 19" long and 1/2 inch thick.

I'm a newbie trying to learn how to use the different bits for different profiles/toolpaths.

Thx again

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

DaddyFox wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:42 pm
Thank you all for the replies.

Yes, in the future I would likely use my router table since the piece is too small where I'd feel comfortable on the table saw.

The piece was only 19" long and 1/2 inch thick.

I'm a newbie trying to learn how to use the different bits for different profiles/toolpaths.

Thx again
When you are using a table saw it's important to make cuts like the 45 degree angle cut while the board is still wide enough to manage safely followed up by cutting the part to size. I hope that is clear.

Phil