Finishing tool path

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jcatcmc
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark pro plus

Finishing tool path

Post by jcatcmc »

Hi, I recently purchased a STL file involving a lot of branches and leaves. Using the full capacity of my x axis and a final depth of 10.5 mm the roughing tool path went well. ( 6.35 deep in two passes ). Things went astray when I tried to calculate the finishing tool path using a 1/8 "ball nose, I ended up with 2 tool paths named > 3 D Finish 1 ( clear 1 ) < total 8.83 depth and the other > 3 D Finish 1 < total depth 9.24 deep.. it took over 5 minutes to calculate these and when I previewed the tool paths it was cutting randomly even though I had nominated a raster style of cut along the Y axis.. As there is over 20 hours run time on the two tool paths can some one confirm this is normal for a complex cut. I am running VC 10.5

John

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Re: Finishing tool path

Post by AboveCreations »

I would think it is impossible to confirm without seeing your .crv file. Of course if the .stl is copyright, that wouldn't posting it here. I've done many 3D model carves and never ran into the issue you describe. However, many of my 3D model are from various authors on ebay and some are from Ukraine and Russia. Most models are fine and they are designed to be CNC compatible. But there are a few that just does not work well because I suppose the build was not done properly. Have you tried to import a different 3D model and test your issue?

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Hi John,
With a "Clear" path in a Finish Toolpath...sounds like you're using V11, and have 2 bits in the field?
Like in this pic I was playing with before some long cuts I'm doing(still haven't done an actual cut)?
REST MACHINE 2 SMALLBITS.jpg
If so, then Lowering Z1 and Z2 as much as possible(like I didn't) you can see how many "Lifts" I had.
REST MACHINE 2 SMALLBITS PREVIEW.jpg
That consumes a lot of time with Rest machining.
Click each tool to change cutting strategy(Raster for big bit, maybe an Offset for the tiny tool?).

If you only want one Finishing toolpath, make sure you only have 1 tool in that field.

NOT sure if that's the problem...perhaps some screenshots of the Finishing Toolpath?
scott

Oops Adrian...missed 10.5 :oops:
Maybe running Trial version?
Can't see how there would be a (Clear) in 10.5.
Last edited by scottp55 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

With a multi tool toolpath it will cut what might appear to be "randomly" as the toolpath is only cutting the parts relevant to that tool rather than the whole piece as it would with a single tool.

It does sound as though you weren't expecting there to be a clearing toolpath though so perhaps you have two tools in the "Tools" list and didn't notice? It's even more confusing as you say you are running 10.5 but that doesn't support multiple finish tools so wouldn't create a clearing toolpath. Sounds like you're running 11 instead as Scott says.

There are multiple reasons why a toolpath might take a long time including stepover values, feed rates etc but 3D cutting does simply take a long time due to the nature of the movement.

jcatcmc
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark pro plus

Post by jcatcmc »

Thanks for the replies so far which have helped sort things out . I recently upgraded my computer and didn't realize when I downloaded what i had thought to be VC 10.5 was actually VC 11.0 This job was the first time I had used the new computer . When I checked the number of tools there were 2 of 1/8 " ball nose tools listed, I will try deleting 1 and recalculate, getting late, tomorrow job.

Thanks again