Vcarve trouble with small machine

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
kdux007
Model of CNC Machine: 3018 Pro

Vcarve trouble with small machine

Post by kdux007 »

The lack of power of small spindle motors (as on my 3018 Pro) means that the spindle bogs down and/or the x axis flexes when cutting much more than .05" in hardwoods. If attempting an inlay thickness of say .15" the current system creates an initial toolpath pass of .15" + up to the max pass setting of the bit. This means it attempts a first pass as deep as .2". This is true of both the vbit toolpath as well as the clearing toolpath autogenerated.

If there is already a way to deal with this that I haven't figured out yet, please let me know what it is. I have, through trial and many errors started to find workarounds for this. I was wondering if a programming fix might be possible.

One possible change would be to add a variable to the vcarve/engraving toolpath settings. Adding "Surface depth" to "Start depth" and "flat depth" would tell the program if it needs to start cutting from the surface or if a pocket is being indicated. A check box labled something like "engraving in a pocket" would do the same thing. It could then assume that passes at the "bit max" must be included in the toolpath right from the surface depth.

I realize this is a moot point to those with a machine with a spindle motor more powerful than a computer fan. For those of us getting into CNC with a 3018 that costs half what the program running it does, this would be a HUGE improvement.

Absolutely loving Vcarve desktop even with the slight hassle with my small machine. Definitely plan to upgrade once I can afford the Longmill 30x30 I have my eye set on. Looks like a great Canadian product. "Eh"

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Re: Vcarve trouble with small machine

Post by mohamed »

Not sure if I'm understanding correctly so apologies if this is relevant.

The settings you're referring to for the toolpath are included in the tool (either access through the Tool database or edit directly from 'Edit' in the relevant toolpath) and from there you can adjust the Stepdown / Pass Depth for your tool.

Having re-read your post, the following might be more relevant. The strategy assumes that everything above the start depth has already been cleared. If that's not the case, you'll have to clear that area using another pocketing toolpath starting from 0 down to your inlay start depth which you run before the inlay toolpath to clear the area.

I'll link to your suggestion in this post as we try to improve our inlay workflow and reduce possibility of falling for this sort of error.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Vcarve trouble with small machine

Post by adze_cnc »

Mohamed,

I expect the original poster is using the "v-inlay" (a.k.a. Zank Inlay, VCarve Inlay, etc.).

If so this will help explain a "solution": viewtopic.php?p=264755#p264755

Steven