adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: V-Carve Help

Post by adze_cnc »

laflippin wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:03 pm
Just saw your explanation of z-home.
Copied and pasted directly from the help file. The only added bit was for ATC.

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

Thanks again, adze.

I am just curious to know at this point: Is there a particular advantage to using “safe z” in the context of the OP’s project versus simply electing a Flat Depth for making engravings with the v-carve toolpath?

Sorry if this comes across as me grinding water, so to speak, but do most people make their engraving projects this way?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Using a flat depth is not the same thing as a cut depth on a profile toolpath for example. It totally changes the way the v-carve looks (if it hits that depth) and doesn't necessarily control the depth of cut.

If the v-carve without the flat depth cuts to 0.25" and a flat depth of 0.3" (for example) is specified then the v-carve toolpath will never cut to 0.3".

The OP's problem wouldn't be solved with a flat depth as the top of the cut is cutting too low which wouldn't change with a flat depth.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

laflippin wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:43 pm
Thanks again, adze.

I am just curious to know at this point: Is there a particular advantage to using “safe z” in the context of the OP’s project versus simply electing a Flat Depth for making engravings with the v-carve toolpath?

Sorry if this comes across as me grinding water, so to speak, but do most people make their engraving projects this way?
Hi Lee,

Safe Z has nothing to do with Flat Depth. Safe Z is the height amount above the material surface you want your router or spindle to go to before moving to another spot on your material during a carve. It is usually set to an amount as small as possible to a) avoid hitting any clamps or other hold-down hardware (if used) and b) to reduce the amount of time the carve takes when just moving from one area to another (i.e., rapid moves)

As far as your question "do most people make their engraving projects this way?". I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Each project dictates what is appropriate and what might not be appropriate (or necessary)...

There is really no particular "usual way" to perform v-carves. If a user prefers to limit a v-carve depth, yet maintain design integrity, she/he can use a Flat Depth to do so. Sometimes, you must use a Flat Depth to limit the v-carve from cutting all the way through the material thickness. Depends on the design and/or letter vectors vs the bit size and angle.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

Thanks, Michael…I am always amazed to learn how much I still need to learn. Seriously.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

laflippin wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:46 pm
Thanks, Michael…I am always amazed to learn how much I still need to learn. Seriously.
Hey - you and me both. Never ends.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Here's where terminology gets confusing. Technically there is no "Safe Z" setting although even Vectric refer to it in their FAQ. The toolpaths list Safe Z but it is a calculated value set to:
  • Clearance (Z1) in the "Rapid Z Gaps above Material" of the "Material Setup" area if z-zero is set to "Material Surface"
  • Material Thickness + Clearance (Z1) if z-zero is set to "Machine Bed"
We should be using the terms "Rapid Z Gaps above Material" and "Home / Start Position" as I have seen people here use "Safe Z" as a synonym for both of these. Simplify to "Rapid Z" and "Home Z" if necessary.

<aside>
Carve / carve / carving is another term I'd like to see go away as I have seen it used here to refer to pretty much every toolpath type which makes it difficult to diagnose things: "I was carving a project yesterday and the tooolpath went south".
</aside>