helensdad
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Oozenest Ox 500 x 750/Openbuilds Minimil

First attempts with a laser....

Post by helensdad »

Totoro Family.jpg
Celtic Knot.jpg
Mayan Calender.jpg
I finally got the post processor sorted for outputting files for the laser cutter. The maximum size on the Minimill is 120mm x 120mm so I will be transferring the laser module to my router for larger work. The toolpaths were created with Cut2D Quick engraving and a tool profile was set up for the laser. The results are encouraging. If anyone can suggest improvments, please do......

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: First attempts with a laser....

Post by TReischl »

That is looking pretty darn good.

The slight surface smudging in corners is pretty normal for laser cutting on a mill type or router type machine. A very light hit with sandpaper usually removes it nicely. It is caused by the accel/decel needed on these machines. Dedicated laser cutters have extremely light heads so they can accel/decel much faster.

Looks really good to me as I said!

Want to have some really neat looking carvings? Carve a piece and then use the laser to highlight the edges, flat out makes a carving POP!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

helensdad
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Oozenest Ox 500 x 750/Openbuilds Minimil

Post by helensdad »

Many thanks! Highlighting carvings sounds a bit advanced for me. I only have Cut2D which won't do 3D carving. I will upgrade as funds allow. Not having much luck actually cutting stuff out with the laser, are there any alternative post processors, I am using J_Tec one at the moment...

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Not having much luck actually cutting stuff out with the laser,

Really depends on the wattage of the laser. My first laser was a 25 watt, which was okay for light engraving, but sucked for everything else. I upgraded to a 400 watt, which will cut up to 3/4" thick, which I enjoy and use a lot. I also have a 60 watt, which will cut up to 5/32" with several passes.