SuperPID Enclosure

The Gallery is for posting photographs and images of work machined using Cut2D
vgraves
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts PRO4848 w/LinuxCNC

SuperPID Enclosure

Post by vgraves »

This was my first "real" project with Cut2D, building an enclosure for my SuperPID router speed control. I cut the pieces to size and cut rabbets in the top, bottom, and side pieces with my table saw, but the remainder of the cuts were done with my small, bench-top mill.

I designed the enclosure in SolidWorks (without the engraving), created SolidWorks drawings of the enclosure pieces, converted them to DXF, and imported into Cut2D. The text was created at the point, along with the tool paths. The parts that had text required cuts on both sides, so I cut the interior features first and then flipped it over for the text; I didn't have to index the parts because the text could be placed "close enough" by eye during the zeroing process.

Anyway, I think it turned out pretty well, but I'd reposition the power receptacles a little if I had to do it over again. The wiring always causes problems that you can't easily catch in a 3D CAD program!

Van
Attachments
SPID 08.jpg
SPID 12.jpg
SPID 13.jpg
SPID 09.jpg
SPID 03.jpg

DDWALKER
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade-Running Mach3

Re: SuperPID Enclosure

Post by DDWALKER »

Cool. Nice Job.

-David

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

I like that text. What was it done with?

Thanks

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman

Post by vgraves »

Sorry, just saw your post. If I understand your question correctly, the text was cut with a 1/32 flat end mill. The font was Arial Rounded MT Bold. Text height was 0.23 inches. If it was taller, I started having problems getting the knob text to fit.

I end up painting the text black. It's much easier to read that way.

Van

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman

Post by vgraves »

I've received notice of a private message on this thread, but apparently I'm not allowed to read or send private messages. Sorry.

If it's something of general interest maybe you can post.

Van

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Hi Van,

I been thinking about buying a SuperPID to control my 3 1/4 Porter Cable router. What type of router do you have and how's the SuperPID control working? Have you had any problems with it? What is the range you are running at and how's the power on the router at the slower range?

Mark

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman

Post by vgraves »

I run a PC 3-1/4 hp router with my SuperPID, and it works great. I had a few issues at first cause I didn't do a good enough job painting the top of the router shaft, but once I fixed that I've had no issues. I normally run about 12000 rpm, and the noise level is much reduced as compared to wide open. I am able to set my rotation speed within my gcode files (very convenient!) or via a potentiometer on my panel.

It holds my router speed very constant no matter how deep I'm cutting, but normally I'm not trying to hog out a lot in a single cut. But I have no reason to think it wouldn't perform well.

I highly recommend the SuperPID. Just make sure you indicate you'r using a 3-1/4 ho router when ordering. I think there's a difference in some of the board components for the larger routers.

Van

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Thanks a lot Van.

I've emailed back and forth a couple times and they sent me an install procedure which looks simple enough. I have to deactivate the speed settings on the router and the soft start I think.

Just wondered from an independent user how it worked.

Thanks again,

Mark

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Mark, I had one for a while & it was easy to install & worked very well, controlled the speed very well. You have the option to use the dial on the superpid or your control software to change speeds but not sure if it works with all control software, does work with mach3. I didn't really use it for very long as I changed from a router (porter cable) to a chinese spindle & vfd but the time I had it it seemed to do a very good job.
As for low speeds it controls as well as is possible, problem with decreasing the speed of a high speed spindle is that you loose torque so if you slow down to much it won't cut butter lol, same thing is true of any spindle though & nothing to do with superpid. If you want to do a lot of slow speed work you are better off with a different spindle to start with, one that is designed for slower speed running.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Thanks Martin for the information. The 3 1/4 HP porter Cable router has been a very good router. I haven't had any problems with it except changing the brushes a couple times in 5 years. The only real problem was cutting Acrylic. I can only slow it down to 10,000 RPM and I have to be careful that it doesn't melt the Acrylic even when cutting cast Acrylic. If I was going to buy a new machine I would probably get a spindle but right now there really is no need to do that. I'm running Mach 3 but I have to set the speed on the router which hasn't been a big problem either.

Mark

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Mark, I bought a non working old gerber router, ripped out all the old electronics & replaced with modern drives & mach3 for control software. I was told that the actual router was ok which was why I bought the superpid. Turned out the porter cable was on it's last legs & failed shortly after I had the machine running, I found it almost impossible to obtain spares for it here in the UK which was why I then went for the 2.2kw water cooled spindle. To be honest it was a good move based solely on the difference in noise levels between the two.
If your having problems cutting acrylic then there are a few things you can do to help stop it melting. Up the feed rate, use a single flute spiral bit, chip removal is vital to stop recutting so a good extraction system or an airline to physically blow the chips away will help.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Thanks Martin,

I've actually been doing all the things you mentioned. I've actually cut a lot of Acrylic but I still think it would cut better if I could slow down the speed to around 7000 RPM. I etch with a drag bit and its fantastic , great cut and no noise because the router is off. I also like to cut some 3D models in the acrylic and I use a tapered ball nose for that and that's where I have to be very careful that the chips don't build up on the bit. I usually stand close by with my air hose to clean the bit when it looks like it's starting to build up. That's when I think based on what I've read on the forums that a lower RPMs would help. I've already speeded up the feed.

Thanks for the comments Martin it always helps.

Mark

Robert M

Post by Robert M »

Van

I read one of your post that you can't read or respond to private messages. Hope this is the best way to get an answer from you. I just ordered the SuperPID for a 7518 router. I want to mount the display board in hole cut in the metal cabinet that house the controllers for my CNC. The main PID board would be about 10" away. After reviewing you photos I noticed you are using extension cable for the display board. Did you custom make the cable or find one already made. I can't find any 16 line ribbon cables with a single row header that will mount to the display. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Are you happy with the performance of the SuperPID?

Thanks
Robert M
Camaster Mini Cobra
Aspire 4
Zbrush
Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator

Westminster Maryland

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Can you not rig the air hose so it blows continuously? If you can do that then you shouldn't get a build up to start with, as well as removing the chips the air will also help with cooling the bit further reducing the chance of any melting.
Yes I would have to agree with you about diamond drag engraving although as I said in the previous post the water cooled spindle is not that noisy when it is running.
I've not done any 3D work with acrylic, one of those things I still have to get round to. Diamond drag & some v carving is as far as I have got.

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman

Post by vgraves »

Robert,

Please see this thread for cable details, and yes, I'm very pleased with the performance of my SuperPID.

I found one cable but someone else found a better version, so I suggest reading through the entire thread. The part number for a 12 inch cable is Samtec HCMS-16-T-12.00-02

Van

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthrea ... erid=47542