First cut 2d project

The Gallery is for posting photographs and images of work machined using Cut2D
aironeous
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HAAS

First cut 2d project

Post by aironeous »

I don't know what it is. It started out as maybe a key chain but then I had to keep scaling it up and moving the pieces away from each other so the 1/32nd could get in between them where they are separated. I had an idea this morning to engrave the Celtic prayer down the center of the raised surfaces and then the final line around the circle but I can't get cut2d to insert the text upside down and aligned within the lines. I wonder if I can just boot into linux kubuntu and use librecad and/or maybe inkscape next time to overcome the limitations in cut2d cad the next time I do a project. I got use to using the vcarvepro trial.

This is my first project using cut2d. I just bought it and photovcarve over the weekend. This is also my first time using tabs. Yeah that's purple heart wood. I got it from Mayan hardwood. I know it's kind of a waste using purple heart for an experiment but I love the way it cuts.
Attachments
13020022.jpg

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: First cut 2d project

Post by Xxray »

Looks nice, I cut PH alot as well, though usually 3D.

Cut 2D isn't the best app for actual designing and model making, wasn't intended to be. It does excel at what it does best though, making simple 2D cuts.
Doug

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

Sorry I have not posted anymore projects. I filled in the above piece with bar top resin and it ended up as a nice coaster.

I have not been able to work on any projects as I have a job now and the school pretty much said I cannot make anything sellable (for profit) there so I got a temp job and they are working me 9 hours each day plus Saturday 8 and sometimes Sunday also.

With my paychecks I just bought a desktop CNC mill with an included handwheel for about 1300 and I also bought a usb smooth stepper. My smooth stepper is already here and my desktop cnc mill will be here in about a week. It is a Chinese machine but it is all metal and they have very good feedback rate. I have a big grudge against that country because of all the tech theft and trade theft they do especially the direct job theft via counterfeiting but I figure this is a way to use their own weapons against them to take back my job stability since they were responsible for my previous company closing down and also will take the work of the company I'm working at now as a temp.

The landlord said that it is ok for me to use the garage. After seeing all the things I showed him that I kept making in the shop at the school down the street he asked for several things. He wants an acrylic mirror with that AA prayer inscribed into it and a 7 inch or so tall cross with the word inri on it made out of purple heart.

I have so many projects I want to do. Now that I have bought my own desktop cnc mill and I have my own laptop and smooth stepper the only things left are to buy a good stable table, a shop vac, a grinder and buffer wheel and something/s to cut wood with and to pay for the full mach3 software.

Once I get the mill up and running and I'm making stuff using cut2d and photovcarve, I'll just keep producing things while I accumulate money at my temp job (while it lasts) and when I get enough I'll upgrade to vcarvepro.

The seller of my CNC has a 4th axis that slides on to the table including a tail stock and it already has a hook up on the controller box for when I buy it later.
What software do you guys use to program the gcode for the 4th axis that does not cost astronomical like Mastercharge-I-mean-cam? Does Aspire allow you to utilize the 4th axis with mach3 as the post processor?

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

Which one of you guys made this?
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/my ... 12844.html
Come on spill the beans.