help with model position in material

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
NACC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 510HD

help with model position in material

Post by NACC »

hello guys- I've been trying to get this model positioned so that the material around the model is removed instead of the model being cut into the board. i'm failing miserably lol. man it would sure be a welcomed revision to have a simple "click-on" function to make that happen! maybe there is and I'm just not looking in the right spot? file attached. thanks again for helping me- this forum has been great at getting me through the learning curve!
NOTE: sorry- i had to zip the file- i was unable to upload the original file with my toolpaths- it kept saying file was too large at 44 mb. the zip file only contains a 5" x 5" image at standard resolution- the original will be 12" x 12" at very high resolution.
Attachments
old man coffee sm.zip
(2.77 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
www.northamericancannon.com

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Re: help with model position in material

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

i don't know if this is what you're after or not.
All I did is change the base height to zero in the modeling / component properties tab.
However, there seems to be something missing on his moustache..
Attachments
Screenshot (103).png
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

I tried that too- but that just raises the model above the 2" material. (photo attached) in other words- instead of cutting material from around the model in the 2" material, it just pushes it up above the 2" material. I feel like I'm missing something easy- (which is usually the case :lol: )
Attachments
old man coffee.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Worked for me:
man in material.jpg
Is your image showing your original file or the crv file posted above which is what Jan and I have good results with? If they're different you'll need to figure out those differences.

Personally, I don't like this method. In your job setup change the z-zero from Material Surface to Machine Bed to see why.

I figure that if you want this fellow to be on a plinth then model in the plinth. But I rarely composite models in VCarve so a more experienced VCarve modeller might think otherwise.

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

If I do nothing more than open your file and check where it is in the material, this is what I get.
However the only way I can get it to cut correctly, is to set the base height to zero. (as mentioned earlier)
Please note that your material is 1 inch thick. Not 2 inches thick as you said.
There are people on here a lot smarter than me, so I will wait to hear from them. (then I can learn something too)
Attachments
Screenshot (104).png
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

There's another thing to consider. Both Jan and I only changed the base height to zero but I get a zero-plane at the bottom of the model and he gets it at the surface of the material. Why? Same file, same operation, should get the same result.

With the zero-plane at the bottom of the material you get run a finishing pass the uses the material boundary and you get the model in relief.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Something like this?

I created a boundary around the image using the "Create Vector Boundary" tool under the Model menu. Then I created a rectangle just shy of the material boundary. Selected both vectors then created a pocket with a depth the same as the thickness of the component (Old Man). I used multiple bits ( 1/4" EM and a 1/16" EM) on the pocket to get into the small areas, Then created a 3d toolpath using only the boundary vector. If you want to keep the model the same size then you really should make the material a little bigger or make the model a little smaller.
Attachments
Old man coffee cup.png
Old man coffee cup 2D view.png
Steve

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:56 pm
Something like this?

I created a boundary around the image using the "Create Vector Boundary" tool under the Model menu. Then I created a rectangle just shy of the material boundary. Selected both vectors then created a pocket with a depth the same as the thickness of the component (Old Man). I used multiple bits ( 1/4" EM and a 1/16" EM) on the pocket to get into the small areas, Then created a 3d toolpath using only the boundary vector. If you want to keep the model the same size then you really should make the material a little bigger or make the model a little smaller.

interesting- this may be the only / best way to accomplish the task - looks like it worked. I'll try that this morning. :D
Last edited by NACC on Mon May 22, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:34 pm
There's another thing to consider. Both Jan and I only changed the base height to zero but I get a zero-plane at the bottom of the model and he gets it at the surface of the material. Why? Same file, same operation, should get the same result.

With the zero-plane at the bottom of the material you get run a finishing pass the uses the material boundary and you get the model in relief.
I can't explain it either-
I had thought about just gluing the old man to a clean board like you mention- that was my plan B if I couldn't figure out how to get the cnc to do all the work.

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

Jan.vanderlinden wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:27 pm
If I do nothing more than open your file and check where it is in the material, this is what I get.
However the only way I can get it to cut correctly, is to set the base height to zero. (as mentioned earlier)
Please note that your material is 1 inch thick. Not 2 inches thick as you said.
There are people on here a lot smarter than me, so I will wait to hear from them. (then I can learn something too)
i've tried it with all different thickness boards, and raising / lowering the base- doesn't seem to matter, the cnc always cuts it in the board instead of cutting the board around it. i don't think there's a single function that will allow you to remove material away from the model vs carving into the material. I'll have too get creative :lol:

martindg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-50 Woodworker

Post by martindg »

I guess I'm not real sure where the disconnect is here. I was able to open the file and first reset the base height to 0.
Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 7.06.07 AM.png
Next went into Material Set up and made sure that model was positioned with 0 inch gap above the model.
Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 7.06.26 AM.png
Then just for demo purposes created a 3D finish toolpath with a 1/32" tapered ballnose using the Material Boundary as the machining limits.
Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 7.06.49 AM.png
This process ended up with this preview.
Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 7.05.57 AM.png
Is this not what you are after or have I completely misread/misunderstood the issues?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

One thing I just noticed is that this post is in the Cut2D sub-forum. Are we talking about a Cut2D job? I was, and I suppose others were, using VCarve (or Aspire).

Is this a Cut2D project? And if so, I wonder if there is some difference among the three programs?

martindg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-50 Woodworker

Post by martindg »

Yeah the Cut2D forum posting observation is interesting, As far as I understand this could not be a Cut2D project as that program has no 3D capabilities (toolpathing, importing stl files, etc). But, again, could be I don't know what I'm talking about.

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

adze_cnc wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:30 pm
One thing I just noticed is that this post is in the Cut2D sub-forum. Are we talking about a Cut2D job? I was, and I suppose others were, using VCarve (or Aspire).

Is this a Cut2D project? And if so, I wonder if there is some difference among the three programs?
it says "cut2D pro & desktop" - I have vcarve desktop which can cut 3d. i don't see another area that's for "desktop" questions.

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

martindg wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:16 pm
I guess I'm not real sure where the disconnect is here. I was able to open the file and first reset the base height to 0.

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 7.06.07 AM.png

Next went into Material Set up and made sure that model was positioned with 0 inch gap above the model.
Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 7.06.26 AM.png
Then just for demo purposes created a 3D finish toolpath with a 1/32" tapered ballnose using the Material Boundary as the machining limits.
Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 7.06.49 AM.png
This process ended up with this preview.
Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 7.05.57 AM.png

Is this not what you are after or have I completely misread/misunderstood the issues?
yup- that's exactly what I need- for some reason I just couldn't make it happen. thank you for the help.