says my 4"x16" job is too big

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
dhb9mm
Model of CNC Machine: bench top

says my 4"x16" job is too big

Post by dhb9mm »

I have used this file before when it was 4"x12". I changed the drawing today so i can get two parts out of a 4" long peice of wood. After changing the drawing, when I try to redo my tool paths, it gives me the error that says my job size is over the limit of 24"x24". My job is only 4"wide by 16". How do i fix this with out having to redraw it?
Attachments
setup page showing size
setup page showing size
2 spiral paddle.crv
the file I am working with
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 57 times

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Re: says my 4"x16" job is too big

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

That will happen if you haven't recalculated your toolpaths. There's "stuff" leftover.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

dhb9mm
Model of CNC Machine: bench top

Post by dhb9mm »

that worked, after I deleted one of my tool paths. it would not let me recal its tool path. But redoing a tool path is much easier than starting over.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The file as posted above does not give a "too big" error when the toolpaths are recalculated for me.

What does give and error is the two profile toolpaths that they have no vectors associated with them. That's one of the problems with manually selecting vectors for toolpath. Much better is to use the vector selector and choose the layer that the vectors are on and "associate" that selection with the toolpath. That way you can add, remove, alter vectors in that layer and know that recalculation will pick all the relevant vectors.

Also, why are you using three Quick Engrave toolpaths? Quick Engrave is generally for some sort of dragging tool (diamond scratch, drawing pen, etc.), generally spring-loaded (hence the pressure setting). You could replace these three Quick Engrave toolpaths with one Profile toolpath set to "on the line". You could manually alter the pass settings to get your 0.06, 0.09, and 0.12 depths.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Are you looking for something like this? An engraving toolpath may not be the best choice for the spirals. In this example I used your vectors with a profile toolpath "on" the line with a .25" ballnose. Also, you have some "ghost" toolpaths with no vectors selected.
Attachments
Paddels.png
Paddles.crv
(962 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Tue May 16, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

adze_cnc wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:23 pm
The file as posted above does not give a "too big" error when the toolpaths are recalculated for me.
It should do if you try to save the toolpaths. Until the toolpaths that are off the material are recalculated or deleted it should come up with a size error in desktop.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

In your example, I did not see any extraneous vectors that would give you a "file too big" error message.
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Ah, "when I try to redo my tool paths" confused me (redo == recalculate); "re-saved" might have been a better choice.