CNC Newbie JPG to STL

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
KevTN
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker Elite

CNC Newbie JPG to STL

Post by KevTN »

Hello,

I will be getting my CNC in a few weeks. MillRight Carve King 2. This is my first CNC. I do have a Xtool D1 Laser that I use other laser software with. I know I need to learn in the wading pool before jumping into the deep end :) I am still learning CNC lingo so if I say something wrong please let me know! lol I am eventually wanting to take JPG and turn it to an STL for reliefs. Also, I am wanting to take JPG at do V Carves. Would this be difficult to do?

I am getting Vectric Desktop as my cutting area is only going to 17.5 x 17.5

Thanks I am looking forward to learning more as I grow into this machine.

Have a good day,
Kevin

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: CNC Newbie JPG to STL

Post by Adrian »

You've posted in the Cut2D section so I'm using that is the software you have. You can't v-carve or 3D machine directly with Cut2D.

As you say you have desktop you may have VCarve in which case you can create v-carved jobs and 3D machine imported models but you wont' be able to create 3D models from a JPG. You need Aspire for that.

JPG to a v-carve is relatively straightforward but a lot depends on the quality and subject of the original picture.

Download the trials of the software and watch the tutorials to see what it is capable of.

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

It won't convert JPG to an STL, but you could look into buying PhotoVCarve. It can take a JPG and carve a relief if you use the right settings. It's an older program without any recent updates, but it has its place in a CNC toolbox. It's free to try the trial version.

KevTN
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker Elite

Post by KevTN »

I apologize I posted in the wrong area. I am still figuring out 2d vs 2.5d vs 3d. Thank you for the information above. I am going to purchase Vectric Desktop