Help please

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Shane Heckroodt
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild

Help please

Post by Shane Heckroodt »

A very good morning to you all. I am very new to this so I would be very thankful if you can help me please

I have build a cnc machine from scratch size is 2700 x 2500 mm

My problem is when you have router a piece of work from the work piece and removed it. There is still alot of empty places on the board left. How can you adjust or have your router to start cutting on the blank without removing the board from your table. I have tried to take the router to a specific place. Then zero the x and y axis but at soon as you send your job to the machine and you start the cycle it starts at your homing position

Have a great and blessed day

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Help please

Post by Adrian »

Depends on your workflow and how your control software works.

For me I would start with the material defined as 2700x2500 in the Vectric software and cut the job. I would then create the next job using the same setup but moving the previous vectors to another layer so they aren't picked up by any toolpaths and then repeat until finished.

I actually use an outside vector the size of the board and then use that in conjunction with the already cut vectors to create a boundary vector for use with nesting to make the most efficient use of the remaining material.

So there is no need to reset the XY at all. In fact as everything I do these days is on 8x4 boards I haven't reset my XY zero for years.

You can start with a new smaller job every time to fit part of the remaining material and reset the XY zero on your machine to be on the uncut portion of the board. It sounds like your XY zero isn't "taking" when you set it if it's ignoring it. It might be that your post processor is hard coded to 0,0 as I've seen that before but it's unusual. Which post processor are you using?

MarshaJ847
Model of CNC Machine: Automation Technology KL-6590

Post by MarshaJ847 »

In many of the built in post processors, in the Header section of code there are XY home commands
[XH] [YH]

removing these should help solve your problem.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

XH and YH are the home positions as set in the Material Setup. For most people those are 0,0 which then corresponds to where XY zero is in the Job Setup. Usually bottom right or centre of the material. If the OP is setting XY zero on his machine to a location somewhere else on the board then it shouldn't matter as far as Vectric is concerned as that will be the XY location hence why I think he isn't actually zeroing XY. The XH, YH move should be taking the machine to where he has set the XY zero.

Shane Heckroodt

hi Adrian ,

thank you so muchfor your reply . I will have to attend to the machine during the weekend again but as far as i know i am using the ( USBCNC) ( mm) ( *.NC) post prosessor.

so just another question please if you dont mind me asking i see that your a long way into this cnc stuff
must one " REF ALL " everyday when you start up your machine

best regards
shane

Shane Heckroodt

MarshaJ847 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:46 pm
In many of the built in post processors, in the Header section of code there are XY home commands
[XH] [YH]

removing these should help solve your problem.

Hi Marsha ,

thank you for the advice you offered me i will check again as said i have only started my machine 2 weeks ago and everything seems really messed up for me cause there is still a lot of stuff to learn for me and where to search for everything

do have a great day

regards
shane :)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Shane Heckroodt wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:33 pm
hi Adrian ,

so just another question please if you dont mind me asking i see that your a long way into this cnc stuff
must one " REF ALL " everyday when you start up your machine

best regards
shane
I don't on my machine but that doesn't mean it holds true for every machine. The only time I reset mine is if I've been doing maintenance on it or if I knock the gantry when it's turned off.

Shane Heckroodt

Good morning again to all

Please tell me what am I doing wrong

When deviding a work sheet into tiles and load the Gcode to the machine why does it not cutting where it is supposed to cut. If I select a Gcode in the middle of the work sheet where I have made the changes it does not start there. It however select the correct file but the cutting starts at my home position and not where it supposed to be.

Is there away that one can look where it is going to cut similar as on a laser machine where you can see if the workpiece will fit in that specific area.

Best regards
Shane

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Where did you set the XY zero on the machine? Wherever it is set in Cut2D you have to set it the same on your machine so if you set the XY Datum Position to the middle dot in Job Setup then you need to set the XY zero on the machine to be in the middle of the material.

You can use the Preview Toolpaths on the Cut2D toolpaths tab to see where it all fits as far as the CAD/CAM side of things goes. Most control software has the option to do that with the code as well.