some quality issues with my cuts using vectric-

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
NACC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 510HD

Re: some quality issues with my cuts using vectric-

Post by NACC »

FixitMike wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:33 am
NACC wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:07 pm
first- adze_cnc, I just measured the 1/4" end mill, the shank is .25, but the blade part is only .22 - significant difference there!
second- fixitmike, for the trunnion block, i created a rectangle with 1/4" outside radius HOWEVER, for the trunnion block pocket, it WAS a straight rectangle (like you mentioned) that I assumed would be a .25" inside radius because I (incorrectly) measured the tool shank instead of the blade!
so, the trunnion block indeed had a .25" radius but the pocket inside corners only had whatever the radius a .22 tool cuts at a corner.
I
A .22 dia. tool cuts a .11 radius inside corner.
I tried the cut again with 22* and it fit perfect! now to mill the brass ;)
Attachments
22 rad.jpg
www.northamericancannon.com

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

I tried the cut again with 22* and it fit perfect! now to mill the brass ;)
sorry- meant to say I set it to 11* radius and got a 22* cut, and it fit perfect....

Rick O.
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC router

Post by Rick O. »

" I was actually surprised to unpack it and see the entire chassis made from delrin (or some plastic material) "

Just an idea.. you might use your current CNC router to cut new chassis and frame parts from aluminum. You will end up with a much stiffer & more accurate machine.
RickO

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

Rick O. wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:54 am
Just an idea.. you might use your current CNC router to cut new chassis and frame parts from aluminum. You will end up with a much stiffer & more accurate machine.
i tried- with 1/2" plate aluminum. it was a colossal failure. these desktop cnc routers really aren't built for cutting anything metallic.
i did think about taking the sd120 apart and having a metal shop remake them, but the cost was more than the sd120! i wish nextwave offered metal chassis parts- i bet they'd sell quite nicely. i'd happily pay an extra $500+ OR if next wave would offer the cnc files for the chassis part- at least that would cut the labor time in half for another shop to make them, if all they had to do was load the files and start cutting.