Engraving text on wood

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
dbcriss
Model of CNC Machine: Genmitsu 3018pro

Engraving text on wood

Post by dbcriss »

I'm engraving text on wood and have entered the size of the block of wood. What I'd like to do is set margins around the edges and just start typing like a word processor where the text automatically drops to the next line when it reaches a margin. Is that possible?

The block of wood is 1" high and 7" long. It's walnut and cuts nicely. What bit would you recommend?

My letters seem to be too close, some even bump into each other. How do I add a bit of spacing between letters?

Thanks,, David

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Engraving text on wood

Post by Adrian »

Watch the Text Tutorial - https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... tion-guide - that will explain how to use the kerning features to adjust the spacing between letters and more.

There is no word processor type entry. You can use the "Draw Text within a Vector Box" tool which has margins but you have to wrap the text yourself within the text entry box.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Engraving text on wood

Post by scottp55 »

1X7" is getting small for what sounds like a multiline VCarve.
( good tip, is once you have it typed and kerned....save the original on a separate layer to go back to!)
After you have it kerned and the way you like it,
Maybe go into the regular Text, tap the text and show font height(and take a screenshot)?

Once you get to about .2-.25" font and below, bit angle/speeds/and such advice can get more specific.
The smaller you go, the more important that spoilboard and material be FLAT in relation to cutter.

Screenshots of font settings and a good preview that are legible can Really help us a Lot!
scott

Oh....and Welcome to the Forum!
A Lot of friendly people here:)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.