Windows 10 - slow to save and load

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
amongstmyselves
Model of CNC Machine: 3040

Windows 10 - slow to save and load

Post by amongstmyselves »

Hi,

I'm using Cut2D Desktop 10.514 on a Windows 10 PC and sometimes saving a file can take several seconds where is used to take less than a second. At times it works fine but at the moment I have just named and saved a file, the save dialog disappears but the program is frozen. I have to kill the program in Task Manager. This may be an issue with my Windows 10 setup.

Any other experiences with this sort of behavior and potential remedy.

Steve.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Windows 10 - slow to save and load

Post by gkas »

I just had to replace a hard drive in my system for just the same problem. A lot of tasks were taking longer and longer. I thought it may be my Samsung boot SSD, but it wasn't. All the diagnostics I ran on the hard drives (7 of them) reported the drives in OK condition. The other morning, Win10 reported that a drive had an error, but didn't tell me which. I ran the repair and the system went into super slow mode. Boots, normally < 30 seconds, were taking 3+ minutes. After boot, apps were taking minutes to load.

I started shutting the system down, then unplugging another drive, then rebooting. I did this until I found the problem drive. Of course it was the last drive I tried. What did surprise me, is that it is an old 500GB drive without much on it. I replaced it with a Toshiba 4TB 7200 RPM drive for $110. Great drive. Performance was back to normal (fast). I did swap the data on my "Vectric/CAD/3D printing" drive to this drive, since the new one was a faster performance drive.

For once it didn't cost me a pocket full of money, just a couple of days of aggravation. The drive must have been going bad for a couple of months. My system performance was slowly degrading during that time and I was having problems tracking it down. Ya' know, when you think the problem may be something you did, and not the system.. :lol: :lol: I think Win10 was doing a massive amount of 'read retries' while updating it's READ tables, since I rarely wrote to it.

amongstmyselves

Thanks for the reply.

I've started trying a few things out. I'm pretty sure my SSD HDs are ok. My current lead is actually relating to the shared folder on my Mach2 machine which isn't very reliable. I have found that sometimes I can't access this drive and I think it's during this period that I also get problems saving to the disc. Though I have not confirmed this as yet.

I'll update should I find a repeatable solution.

amongstmyselves

The problem is definitely a system level issue with my networked drive.