Issues with Cutting Chamfers

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
evans1089
Model of CNC Machine: Fabertech

Issues with Cutting Chamfers

Post by evans1089 »

Hi guys,
I am trying to cut the chamfer as shown on the two edges of the attached.
Yet when I do using the 32mm 90 degree tool. And then use a 6mm end mill tool for the other two sides, I am not getting the correct overall dimensions.
For example,

The part I need should finish 465mm x 355mm with the chamfers.
But when using the VCarve Pro, and chamfer tool, the overall size both X,Y is 8mm short.
Actual size after cutting is 457 x 347.

Is there a step I am missing? Or something I can do on the program side to ensure the part finishes as needed?
I can post images of my current settings, if someone can give me two minutes to guide me through it?
Many thanks
Attachments
chamferimage.png
IMG_9345.jpg

evans1089

Re: Issues with Cutting Chamfers

Post by evans1089 »

Sorry just realised I posted this in the wrong section

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Toolpaths are calculated from the centre of the bit so you need to allow for that when using anything other than a straight bit by either using different sized vectors for that toolpath or specifying an offset in the toolpath.

evans1089

Post by evans1089 »

I was under the impression that the chamfer tool calculated offset to produce desired angle and dimensions?
Attachments
chamfer1.png
chamfer2.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Sorry I didn't realise you were using VCarve. Cut2D doesn't have the chamfer toolpath so I assumed you were using the profile toolpath.

I notice you have the chamfer set to inside. Is that what you want? I would have thought outside would be the correct choice for a shape like that. It's not a toolpath I use though.

evans1089

Post by evans1089 »

Adrian wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:02 am
Sorry I didn't realise you were using VCarve. Cut2D doesn't have the chamfer toolpath so I assumed you were using the profile toolpath.

I notice you have the chamfer set to inside. Is that what you want? I would have thought outside would be the correct choice for a shape like that. It's not a toolpath I use though.
From my reading and from watching videos, the chamfer tool shows you the lowest point of the chamfer in pink.
So I've cut them using the options shown. Thinking it would calculate to produce the chamfer to that point and keeping the actual size.

Could be wrong!