Home / Start Position

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
amongstmyselves
Model of CNC Machine: 3040

Home / Start Position

Post by amongstmyselves »

Hi all,

First time poster on the forum.

What I was wondering if there is a way of stopping cuts from returning to the start / home position at the beginning of a cut. I'm exporting out to Mach3. I've not noticed any options to turn this off. My last resort would be to edit the Mach3 file but this would be a little annoying.

I find the return to home a bit time wasting when I am working on items like patch ups that are located at the other end of the 3D router.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Steve.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Home / Start Position

Post by Adrian »

You would need to create a custom post processor to remove the return to home. There is a post processor editing guide on the Help menu.

I did it to mine years ago as I didn't see the need for the home move either.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

First of all, welcome to one of the most helpful forums I know! :)

You can set it as close to material(or On the material) as you choose.
You can set Home Positions in the right hand Material Setup.
You can set your Z1 and Z2 there as well for faster cut times, or missing your clamps at height.

In the pic shown, I'm doing a 3D cut with Z-Zeroing at the spoilboard
and 2-4 bits(depending on the cut quality with some new TBNs).
2021-06-19 06_47 HOME POSITION.jpg
SO I set Home position to be where I can change bits easily, and it's 1" above one of my bolt holes
holding down my spoilboard, as it's a very stable spot on the table.
It saves time changing bits and Z-Zeroing new bits for me.

On other files, I might set it to avoid clamps....
or on cutting firewood or branches to start at low end of my piece.

Don't forget to take into account your machines Z travel and material height, and length of the bit!
For instance this is 1.78" thick material, and bit is 3" long....so Z Home is fairly low.
IF set too high(and you don't have a Z limit switch)...then you can "Top Out" of Z and lose position!!
That is BAD and will usually ruin your workpiece.
Hope that's clear as mud. :)

Just read Adrian's comment, and perhaps I misunderstood...but leaving it anyways for info.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

amongstmyselves
Model of CNC Machine: 3040

Post by amongstmyselves »

Thanks for the replies Adrian and Scott.That lead worked well thanks Adrian.

My initial idea was that I'd be making some sort of data filter but not the case. What I did was modify the translator which outputs the required format for Mach3 which is what I use to cut with.

For the record and others who might come here, what you do is edit the .pp file associated with your output format. In my case I was looking to edit the Mach2_3_Arcs_mm.pp file located in C:\ProgramData\Vectric\Cut2D Desktop\V10.5\PostP for version 10.5 of Cut2D Desktop. Go down to line 98 of this file, in the section HEADER, the line "[N][XH][YH][F]" outputs the code out to the file which sends the router to the home position. I have remarked this out with a + symbol at the start of the line and Cut2D no longer places this in the Mach3 file.

An alternative approach to remarking it out in this file would be to copy and rename a new file like Mach2_3_Arcs_mm_NO_HOME.pp where the line is commented out so this way you'd still have the original file if you do need to return to home on cut start and the alternative one without the return.

Easy in the end !

Thanks for your help.