Cutting around a line

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Dale Yeager
Model of CNC Machine: Hobby laser engaver & CNC router

Cutting around a line

Post by Dale Yeager »

I want to cut around some open vectors. Ideally I would like to cut both "inside" and "outside" of some curves, basically making the cut I want to be twice the tool width. Using a bigger tool is not an option I seem to be able to cut "inside" a straight line, then program to cut "outside" the line, but this does not seem to work on curves, like single line text. Any ideas?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Cutting around a line

Post by Adrian »

Inside/Outside becomes Left/Right when you're machining open vectors.

Imagine the vector is a path that you're going to walk down starting at the start node so if it's cutting on the "wrong" side flip the start node to the other end of the vector in node edit mode.

For text you would need to convert it curves first so you can set the start node to where you need it.

Dale Yeager

Post by Dale Yeager »

I had tried that but it wasn't working. I found that I need to go through each letter one at a time. I think it has something to do with some letters being open vectors, the others closed.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If you're mixing open vectors with closed vectors then you always have to use two toolpaths unless you're cutting On the vector.

Within the same font you shouldn't have a mix of open and closed vectors (a truetype font will always be closed) but if you're using truetype and single line fonts in the same toolpath then you will get a mix of open and closed.

Dale Yeager

Post by Dale Yeager »

I am using single line fonts but when converted to curves letters like "O" are seen as closed vectors and "C" is seen as an open vectors. It gets even better on letters like "E" is actually 2 open vectors. I got what I needed for now, maybe I will find an easier way as I keep going.

fig.11
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam C1-44OT

Post by fig.11 »

I'm having the exact same issue with single line fonts. How did you fix it / work around it? Is there a way to actually use single line fonts without spending an entire morning trying to join vectors? Even still, they are considered "open" with letters like "C, E, M,W, etc..." as explained above.
This is crazy. Are single line vectors just simply not supposed to be used? If so, why can I import them?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

fig.11 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:35 pm
I'm having the exact same issue with single line fonts. How did you fix it / work around it? Is there a way to actually use single line fonts without spending an entire morning trying to join vectors? Even still, they are considered "open" with letters like "C, E, M,W, etc..." as explained above.
This is crazy. Are single line vectors just simply not supposed to be used? If so, why can I import them?
They are designed to be cut On the vector with the profile toolpath or with the Outline option of the quick engraving toolpath.

If you want to cut them inside/outside then you have to create different toolpaths as I explained earlier in the thread.

fig.11
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam C1-44OT

Post by fig.11 »

Ah ok. I don't think I read it correctly the first time. I understand now. Thanks.