Help Need With Small Circles Profile Path

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Bruno2021
Model of CNC Machine: Ooznest Workbee 1000 X 1000 mm

Help Need With Small Circles Profile Path

Post by Bruno2021 »

As an absolute beginner to CNC routing, I am in the process of creating some round holes for insert nuts in my wasteboard. I am using a Makita RT0700 router in a Workbee machine and, at lack of a better option, I am using a Whiteside 6.35 mm shank, 1 flute, double compression bit. To save the tool, I setup the toolpath for the holes in Cut2D as a profile path with a spiral ramp, in a 19mm MDF board. The toolpath is thus creating a cylinder shaped pocket about 10mm in diameter and 19mm in depth. My issue is the sides of these cylinder shaped holes are not coming out smooth but they have a partial ridge. I suspect this has to do with the start point and the spiral ramp setting... perhaps the plunge rate is too high? How can I correct this issue so that no ridge appears? Any help appreciated since as an absolute beginner I have no idea where to start troubleshooting the issue. These are my current settings for the mentioned toolpath: Start Depth: 0 mm, Cut Depth 20 mm, Spindle Speed: 12000 rpm, Feed Rate: 1900 mm/min, Plunge Rate: 250 mm/min. Thanks.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Help Need With Small Circles Profile Path

Post by Adrian »

The ridge will be caused by deflection as the side load increases on the bit. That will be either deflection of the bit itself and/or deflection caused by flex in the machine.

I don't know about the speeds for your machine but the plunge rate especially seems very slow to me. Too slow a feed rate can often be as bad as too fast.

Bruno2021

Post by Bruno2021 »

After changing some settings (Smooth Ramp instead of Spiral Ramp, Cut Depth now in 4 passes and Plunge Rate 350 mm/min) it seems the issue is mostly gone.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

You might have tried to alter one thing at a time. Now you don’t really know which of those three changes contributed to fixing things.

I expect that smooth ramp instead of spiral to not help much.

Bruno2021

Post by Bruno2021 »

Very true!