stretching vectors to fit

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
berrows@comcast.net
Model of CNC Machine: probotix fireball 90

stretching vectors to fit

Post by berrows@comcast.net »

I have made a rectangular military plaque. I have also imported a circular type epaulet rope. I need to somehow transform the rope to fit outside the plaque as a border. Any ideas. I have tried the transform tool to no avail, what am I missing? Thanks for any and all ideas. DB

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: stretching vectors to fit

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Posting the file, or at least some screen shots of what you have, and what failure looks like would be helpful.

Here is a link describing how to upload your file. (How do I upload files or photos to the forum?)
If the file is too large to upload here you can use a file sharing site such as drive.google.com, onedrive.com, or dropbox.com. They all have free accounts available
  • Upload the file to the file sharing site
  • Make the link shareable
  • Share the link to the file here
Use the Windows Snipping tool for screen shots.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

berrows@comcast.net

Let me know if you get this. I want the rope on the outside of the rectangle. Can it be done? Thanks! Doug
Attachments
New circle square.crv
(288 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

If I understand correctly, I don't think you can do 3d work in Cut-2D. I don't even think you can import a 3d model. I made this in Aspire and if you can import it you may use it any way you wish.
Attachments
Rope border.3dClip
(230.96 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Rope Border.png
Steve

berrows@comcast.net

Hi and thanks for your reply. I found another way to get it done just not through CutD2. Thanks again...Doug

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Post by Bob Jr »

Hi DB,
I'm curious...How did you solve this?
Thanks,
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The rope in the file isn't 3D. It's 2d vectors. You would just need to ungroup it and then use those vectors to create a new rope that is square in shape or even just draw it from scratch. It's a very simple repeating shape.

berrows@comcast.net

Hi and thanks to all of you that replied to my post. I still haven't found a good way of stretching things like the rope. When I ungroup it turns every facet of it into little pieces that when you node edit, there are to many nodes to move, very time consuming. So, I just go on line and find vectors I can copy, then go to paint, paste and then do any alterations, save as a BMP in my CNC file.I can then go to Cut2D import, go through the process, make it as big as I want then import the subject matter that goes in the middle. Now I can shrink the rope to fit the rectangle I imported, the rest is easy-peasy. Sooo, one day I hope to find a way in 2D to do this which I'm sure would be faster but thanks for all your in put...Doug

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I believe there’s a segment about creating a rope border in one of Michael Mezalick’s vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzCwh1BfGc

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

berrows@comcast.net wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:55 pm
Hi and thanks to all of you that replied to my post. I still haven't found a good way of stretching things like the rope. When I ungroup it turns every facet of it into little pieces that when you node edit, there are to many nodes to move, very time consuming.
You don't need to mess about with nodes. Ungroup and that gives you the individual rope "tick" shapes. Just drag one to where you want it and then duplicate by cut/pasting, array copy or copy along vectors whichever suits your need. If you need a more random rope then copy three or four of the shapes and repeat in the same way. It's just rotating and copying, no need for node editing at all.

berrows@comcast.net

Hi Adrian, thankyou so very much for your simple solution! You know, sometimes I am so into what I'm creating I can't see the forest for the trees and I get a bit frustrated. However, the research I do to get things done keeps my brain going and somewhat sharp at 79, so thanks again, it's good to have someone you can count on to pull your chestnuts out of the fire...Doug