Custom single line fonts?

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
case
Model of CNC Machine: DIY Frankenstein

Custom single line fonts?

Post by case »

Is there any way to make your own single line fonts in Cut2D?

I need a version of a font called B612. Its an open source avionics font developed by airbus and is great for legibility.
I can do true-type but it adds way to much machine time, would love to get a single line version to use.

I have tested some single line True Type fonts but they do not work correctly. So am not sure if making a custom TT single line font will work.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Custom single line fonts?

Post by Adrian »

You can't add to the single line fonts. They are Vectrics own format.

There are single line fonts available in TrueType (Google search "single line engraving fonts") but they aren't true single line as TrueType fonts have to be a closed loop so they are basically closed vectors that go back over themselves so although they cut as a single line the cutter will do every letter twice.

If the machining time is crucial then your best bet is probably to create your own set of vectors by converting the B612 text to curves and editing from there to get single lines. I do that for some tiny text that I do on race car panels and it's not really too bad to setup as there isn't huge amounts of text. If you were laying out verses etc then it wouldn't really be workable.

If you had VCarve or Aspire you could cut the B612 font as is with a v-carve toolpath which would work well.