fretboard

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Jon Grey
Model of CNC Machine: sainsmart Genmitsu PROVerXL 4030

fretboard

Post by Jon Grey »

Has anyone made a guitar fret board using 2D desktop, I mean with the radius and fret slots cut in?

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Re: fretboard

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

I've made a fret board, but used a fret saw to cut the slots. (stewmac)
I would think it would be a lot easier than trying to mill them.
Seems like a lot of broken tiny end mill.
I developed a fret calculator in excel.
If you need it I can send it to you.
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

Jon Grey
Model of CNC Machine: sainsmart Genmitsu PROVerXL 4030

Post by Jon Grey »

Thanks but I have already downloaded a fret calculator, I build guitars as a hobby but am new to cnc and want to combine the two. Thanks again! :D

joedefee
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix v90

Post by joedefee »

You may want to check out the Facebook group called Guitar Building With CNC. I've seen posts on there where folks cut fingerboards and necks with CNC machines. I on the other hand, use my CNC for guitar inlays, cutting bridges, etc but have not use it to cut fingerboards or necks. I find that using my table saw with the Stewmac thin kerfed fret blade is much faster and efficient and just as accurate. It uses a ruler with pin notches at each fret location and the fingerboard is attached to the ruler with double stick tape. You insert a pin in a table saw sled/gig to quickly and accurately cut all the frets. The only downside is that you have to purchase one of the notched rulers for each fret scale you want to slot. Unless of course, you have a CNC. I used my CNC to cut the 1/8 inch notches along a piece of soft aluminum (could use thin hardwood as well) that I picked up at a big box store making my own custom scale length notched rulers. You just use the fret calculator online and set up the toolpath in your CAD software to drill the 1/8 inch pin holes down the side of the ruler stock for the fret locations. Then you avoid the expensive notched fret rulers from the luthier supply stores. Your only cost will be the thin-kerfed fret blade from Stewmac but it will last a long time.

Obviously, this won't work if you don't have a table saw. I might add though that even a small inexpensive tabletop table saw will work for this. No need to try to buy a big cabinet grade table saw.

Hope this helps.
Joe.

joedefee

Post by joedefee »

A couple pics of the fret ruler with the notched pins for a ukulele fingerboard with 17.027 scale length.
Attachments
ukulele fret jig1.jpg

joedefee

Post by joedefee »

here is the other pic.
Attachments
ukulele fret jig2.jpg