Layers

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Vmastros
Model of CNC Machine: Genmitsu 3018

Layers

Post by Vmastros »

Ok, I design a project - a circle with an overlapping rectangle. I copy the two to a new layer. I go back to the first layer and cut out one of the lines. I go to the second layer and cut out a different line. I'm doing this because I want to make two toolpaths. When I jump between the two layers, the second layer disappears. I can't figure it out. I've done the same move two weeks ago with no problems. Could the software be corrupted? I want to reinstall Cut 2D but don't know how.

Am I correct to assume that changes made to one layer will not affect a different layer? Thanks for the help.

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Re: Layers

Post by Mark »

Hello Vmastros,

The software is exceeding unlikely to be corrupted, so re-installing is not likely to change anything.

From what you describe, you would not need to create two layers to construct this, you can place both
vectors on the same layer and select each for the two separate toolpaths that you are creating.

If you are creating further edits to the vectors, these will take place on the Active layer in the software,
as such the edited vectors would move to the active layer.

If you can post up the file and talk us through the steps you are taking, we can check things out.

Cheers,

Mark.

Vmastros

Post by Vmastros »

Ok, thanks. I attached the file. The project is an acrylic piece to fit into an LED light puck. The tab on the bottom needs to be machined thinner to fit into the LED puck. The outside profile is to cut the piece from the 6x6 square acrylic. The tab is the part to be made thinner.
So I draw the circle then add a box to create the tab portion. I then try to isolate the outside profile from the tab on different layers. At first it seems to work but then things get wonky. Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
People are Crazy v2.crv
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 76 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

In your file the active layer visibility is turned off but it's still the active layer so any new vectors you create will seem to disappear.

Some actions like cutting parts of a vector will lead to the vector being placed on the active layer, as Mark says, so I expect that is exactly what you're seeing.

When it's visible the active layer is indicated by bold text in black. If it's active but not visible then it's bold in red.

Vmastros

Post by Vmastros »

Thanks Adrian. I think I know what you are saying. But sometimes even if I light the lightbulb for a layer it does not appear.

On another note, on the stub layer, when I try to do a pocket cut toolpath, it says there are open vectors. I have tried weld, to no avail. I have tried blowing it up to seek open vectors but I can't see any. When I hit join open vectors, it says there is one but the join button is grayed out.

Gee, on Youtube everything works perfectly. I know, it is operator error. :D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The bottom part of the stub shape goes back on itself so it's not forming a closed vector. When you select the vector you can see that the bottom "dashed" effect of the line is different to the rest. You can also see the issue by using the Vector Validator. You'll need to go into Node edit mode to edit it out or use the interactive trim tool (scissors) and use the join with line or curve tools.

I'm sure your issue with vectors not showing is the active layer. For example the way you have it set at the moment in that file if you change the stub then it will move to the Outside Profile layer and the visibility of that layer will go from off to on. Then there is nothing on the stub layer so you may think the stub has gone.

The active layer is not always the layer you're working on. The easiest way to handle it until you're totally confident with how layers work is to always make the layer you're working on the active layer.

Vmastros

Post by Vmastros »

Well, instead of copying from one layer to another, I just drew the profile and tab on the stub layer. No vector problems. Toolpaths work. Everything is right with the world. Thanks Adrian. I still want to know why copying from layer to layer causes problems. Back to Youtube I guess.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It causes problems for you because your assumption (Am I correct to assume that changes made to one layer will not affect a different layer?) is not correct. Changes made on one layer will affect another if you're not working on the active layer.

Best to watch the official Vectric videos while you're still learning the software (Video Tutorial Browser on the Help menu). There are some really great YouTube videos but there are also some which are totally and utterly wrong with what they say plus many that were made with much older versions of the software.

Vmastros

Post by Vmastros »

I do understand that if you have multiple layers visible, changes will affect the various layers when they’re isolated. Thanks for the advice. I did watch the Vectric video on layers. It helped a lot. Thanks again Adrian.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Another thing that might be confusing is that you have overlapping vectors.I just used node edit and dragged the node shown .
Attachments
Overlapping Vector.png
Steve