where has my End Mills gone

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
doncraig
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft 420 V1

where has my End Mills gone

Post by doncraig »

I have updated to 10.5 and want to machine some pieces but it depends what toolpath I select.
When I choose the V-Carve Toolpath it opens with the 90 degree 6 mm bit selected. I want to have straight (vertical) sides so I need an End Mill but they are not available in the database (as shown). Where have the end mills gone or should I use a different method to create these print blocks ??
v-carve toolpath.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: where has my End Mills gone

Post by Adrian »

You can't use an endmill with a V-Carve toolpath so they aren't displayed. By default the tool database hides all tools groups that can't be used with the current toolpath type.

For that toolpath only v-bits and roundover bits are valid for the actual cut. You can use an endmill as a clearance tool but it won't cut the sides.

If you want straight vertical sides then you should use a Pocket toolpath instead.

doncraig
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft 420 V1

Re: where has my End Mills gone (SOLVED)

Post by doncraig »

Thanks for the simple and straightforward answer.
I have been asked if I could make little wooden print blocks (by my sister) and thought I would give it a go. I tried a block of Lime wood but it may be too soft so I will try Beech next. My first block was 'HOME MADE' on 2 lines and I used the Pocket toolpath. A complete disaster but I now know what i am looking for. I may go back to the V-Carve tool path and use an engraving bit and see what works then. I have been away from V Carve, UCCNC and the Stepcraft machine for some time now and need to get back into it so I will probably be back with more questions.
Thanks again
take care and stay safe
Don W

twalz68225
Model of CNC Machine: Sainsmart 3018 Pro

Post by twalz68225 »

Am i missing something? I have Cut2D version 10.512 and I don't have a vcarve toolpath. I have the Quick Engraving but not a vcarve.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

The OP has VCarve Desktop (based upon his screenshot)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC