New to CNC- Looking for best fonts and Bits

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Kevinu
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy 3x5 Gen 2

New to CNC- Looking for best fonts and Bits

Post by Kevinu »

I'm new to CNC operation. Just received machine and been busy making sawdust. I'm trying to figure out which font to use and which bit to use to carve or engrave small letters, i.e. 1/8' or so high. Does anyone know what works best or looks good?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: New to CNC- Looking for best fonts and Bits

Post by Adrian »

For very small letters like that you're nearly always going to be looking at the Single Line fonts (it's a choice in the Text Tool) and a profile toolpath set to be on the vector with a very fine tool like a 30 or 45 degree engraving bit. I do a lot of lettering that size for race car panels and that works for me.

Laser is probably best for that job but I just haven't had the time to get mine setup and working yet.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Kevinu wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:10 pm
I'm new to CNC operation. Just received machine and been busy making sawdust. I'm trying to figure out which font to use and which bit to use to carve or engrave small letters, i.e. 1/8' or so high. Does anyone know what works best or looks good?
What looks best is in the eye of the beholder. Some folks love fonts like Comic Sans. Me? Not so much.

If you are carving positive letters, the thickness of the strokes and things like serifs can become an issue depending on the size you are cutting. Things like that are learned through experience. There are no hard and fast rules. So have fun and experiment!

Oh, one other thing, small fonts get lost on grainy woods like oak unless you fill them in with something. Even then they can get lost.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

One of my Favourite quotes about MS Comic Sans goes something like:
If you love it, you don't know much about typography. And if you hate it, you really don't know much about typography either and you should get another hobby.
from Vincent Connare the designer of MS Comic Sans...